Has Anyone Used This Keg?

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using this type

of keg. I’ve seen them popping up on a few sites lately, usually at a fairly attractive price point. From what I can gather, they’re made in China, which isn’t necessarily a non-starter – I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience using them or had heard anything about them. Kegging is completely new territory for me.

Also, is there any advantage or disadvantage to using a keg that doesn’t have the rubber tops & bottoms?

Read about them, didn’t buy one because of what I read. Cheap Chinese knock-off’s, not food grade or pressure tested. Buyer beware IMO.

you can get reconditioned kegs from reputable distributors for a lot less. I’ve gotten great used kegs off craigslist for $40.

Thanks, guys. I’m still on the fence about whether to go new or used, and just wondered if the pricing on these new kegs indicated that they were too good to be true.

Almost everything we buy, aside from food, is made in China these days. It’s a sad truth that we can’t avoid.

I don’t know how these couldn’t be food safe though if they’re made from 304 stainless.

I considered those kegs also. I saw a few reports of bad welds, but they were from competitors explaining why they werent going to carry the “cheap Chinese kegs.” I dont think I saw any actual user reviews. I went with local used kegs from Craigslist because of the cost.

I think you should try one and let us know how it is. :cheers:

[quote=“Joel5000”]I considered those kegs also. I saw a few reports of bad welds, but they were from competitors explaining why they werent going to carry the “cheap Chinese kegs.” I dont think I saw any actual user reviews. I went with local used kegs from Craigslist because of the cost.

I think you should try one and let us know how it is. :cheers: [/quote]
Joel - After giving it a lot of thought, I went ahead and purchased a couple of refurbished ball locks today. I’d still be interested to know if anyone out there has tried the style of keg I mentioned in the original post, though…

I have a couple of the 2 1/2 gal kegs. Bought them when the are stackable with fittings. Local store now sells kegs at $60. I’m seriously thinking of buying new only. I’d buy these again.

I honestly can think of why you would want to buy new. The old pin and ball locks work like they were new. I use pin lock kegs which i can get for about $35. Some don’t like pin because of the no pressure release on the lid but i just switch them out whenever i see deals on the ball lock lids. For me it is buying new for 100 to 129 or buying two or three for the same price. Not to mention the keg sits inside the keezer and nobody sees it so it is not like anyone will be in awe by the shiny new keg.

Just my two cents.