Has anybody tried dry hopping with coffee

Thinking about adding coffee grounds to hop bag to secondary. Has anybody tried with coffee or tea?

Yeah, more than a few times. I recommend you use coarsely cracked beans in the bag, not ground coffee.

cold brew then add at packaging.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/library/tiny ... imentation

Hey thanks for the reply’s can you give me a heads up on how much to use and how it affected the favor ?

Depends on what coffee you use. Last time I did this, I cold brewed Italian Espresso and added a cup to a five gallon batch. It was overpowering, and I should have used perhaps half a cup. It was difficult to calibrate the right amount for some reason. Usually, when you add a tincture (which is what brewed coffee is), you can add a little at a time and then stop when you get to the right flavor level. That’s what I did, but for some reason the flavor intensified later.

For cracked beans, I’d start with an ounce, then taste after 4-5 days. Add more if needed.

[quote=“rebuiltcellars”]Depends on what coffee you use. Last time I did this, I cold brewed Italian Espresso and added a cup to a five gallon batch. It was overpowering, and I should have used perhaps half a cup. It was difficult to calibrate the right amount for some reason. Usually, when you add a tincture (which is what brewed coffee is), you can add a little at a time and then stop when you get to the right flavor level. That’s what I did, but for some reason the flavor intensified later.

For cracked beans, I’d start with an ounce, then taste after 4-5 days. Add more if needed.[/quote]

thanks for the input .I think I’ll try with less then work my way up. Better lightly flavored than to heavy. I am going to try it with a American wheat beer. Thanks again

I use 4-5 oz. of coarsely craxked beans for 4-5 days or to taste.

[quote=“Steve Srader”][quote=“rebuiltcellars”]Depends on what coffee you use. Last time I did this, I cold brewed Italian Espresso and added a cup to a five gallon batch. It was overpowering, and I should have used perhaps half a cup. It was difficult to calibrate the right amount for some reason. Usually, when you add a tincture (which is what brewed coffee is), you can add a little at a time and then stop when you get to the right flavor level. That’s what I did, but for some reason the flavor intensified later.

For cracked beans, I’d start with an ounce, then taste after 4-5 days. Add more if needed.[/quote]

thanks for the input .I think I’ll try with less then work my way up. Better lightly flavored than to heavy. I am going to try it with a American wheat beer. Thanks again[/quote]

Not one to discourage innovation, but why coffee in an American wheat?
Are you aiming for something like a dunkelweizen?

[quote=“mrv”]
Are you aiming for something like a dunkelweizen?[/quote]

It might be me seeing trends that aren’t there, but I’ve noticed a couple of coffee blonde ales lately. A coffee wheat would be a logical next step. Or maybe it’s just because wheat beer is a good base for adding different flavors to.

I have never brewed a batch with coffee, but I’ve had a fair number of commercial beers with coffee (almost all stouts and porters) and occasionally I add a shot of espresso to a glass. Here are a few thoughts I have:

1. In order for coffee flavor to really work well, I feel like the base beer should have a fair amount of residual sweetness to balance with the astringency coffee/beans can add.
  2. Definitely use a bean that you would want to drink straight and try to pick one that tends to have a smooth (less sharp) flavor without a strong roast edge–especially since you’re planning to add it to a wheat base.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“mrv”]

It might be me seeing trends that aren’t there, but I’ve noticed a couple of coffee blonde ales lately. A coffee wheat would be a logical next step. Or maybe it’s just because wheat beer is a good base for adding different flavors to.[/quote]

I am not beer smart but American wheat is cheaper to experiment with as I am retired on a fixed income and I don’t wont to ruin a more expensive beer. I welcome all Input as I am eager to learn !!
I love coffee that’s my main drink I use K cups !!

[quote=“Steve Srader”][quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“mrv”]

It might be me seeing trends that aren’t there, but I’ve noticed a couple of coffee blonde ales lately. A coffee wheat would be a logical next step. Or maybe it’s just because wheat beer is a good base for adding different flavors to.[/quote]

I am not beer smart but American wheat is cheaper to experiment with as I am retired on a fixed income and I don’t wont to ruin a more expensive beer. I welcome all Input as I am eager to learn !!
I love coffee that’s my main drink I use K cups !![/quote]

But you need to think about the integration of flavors, not the coffee alone. Am.wheat may be cheap tp experimwnt with, but if the cOmbo ends up tasting bad you’re out the money with crappy beer to show for it. Maybe think stout or porter instead. Neither of thos should be much (if any) more expensive to make than Am.wheat.

I made a Founder’s Breakfast Stout clone and it was probably the best beer I have ever made in my life. I used 8 oz Sumatra at flameout and 8 oz Kona for 2 weeks in the secondary. This is for 20 gallons so scale for 5 gallons. No bag, I just dumped the freshly ground beans right into the secondary. Then I had to put a screen on the output end of my Autosiphon when racking to kegs.

What type of chocolate did you use?

What type of chocolate did you use?[/quote]chocolate nibs and bakers chocolate from the grocery store.

Thanks to all but thanks to Denny I am going with the porter coffee sold by northern brewer and maybe when I grow up and know more about what I am doing I’ll create my own. A big thanks to everyone input is good. By the way I am 64 so I better hurry on the growing up. :lol: