Harpoon Leviathan Imperial IPA clone

I have been to the Harpoon Brew Pub in VT numerous times and have had this on tap there. It is probably one of my favorite IPA’s. Does anyone have a recipe clone for this by any chance? I can’t imagine the brewery would give up a recipe?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

they give a decent amount of info on their website here:

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/beer/avai ... 3350576191

They list the hops and you can infer that they use 2row, some light crystal (and probably some corn sugar, but that’s from my experience with IIPAs - they don’t actually say it).

you can piece a good first draft together from that and then experiment with a couple more iterations to nail it.

post back here if you’d like some comments on your recipe before brewing.

Cheers!

Thanks Blatz. I’m going to do some more homework into it and see what I can come up with. Is there any shot that I can do this as extract, as I dont know how/am not set up to do all grain, or even partial grain for that matter.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Matt

[quote=“Hoppman21”]Thanks Blatz. I’m going to do some more homework into it and see what I can come up with. Is there any shot that I can do this as extract, as I dont know how/am not set up to do all grain, or even partial grain for that matter.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Matt[/quote]

sure - this is one that you can do with extract/steeping grains, but if you going to use extract, i’d definitely incorporate some corn sugar into the grist, otherwise you might end up with more of a light-in-color barleywine as opposed to IIPA.

Off the top of my head, I’d think 11# of extra light DME, a # of corn sugar and 12oz Crystal 10-20L steeped for 6 gallons is probably about where you want to be.

I’d bitter with Chinook (70 ibus?), and then 1/2 ounce each of Chinook, Simcoe, Amarillo and Centennial at 15 and flameout and then 3/4 oz of each for a 7 day dryhop.

Harpoon has a proprietary yeast, but I’ve seen some Harpoon IPA clones floating around that use one of several of the available british strains, I’d probably go with WL007 just because I like it, but do some research on that.

Forgive my ignorance, but I’m fairly new to brewing (only have my 2nd brew in secondary now! It is the Dead Ringer), but I’m not sure what grist is and how it would apply. The 2 kits that I have done so far have been extract kits from NB. I did the American Wheat Beer and now have the Dead Ringer in the secondary. The Dead Ringer has specialty grains that have to be steeped, but nothing more complicated than that.

I did notice that Harpoon uses their own yeast for that beer, and was wondering if they would send me some if I asked! LOL, can’t imagine they would give it up. Anyhow, do you think it too ambitios of me to try to make something like this with very little experience in brewing? Do I need to perfect technique or processes before I attempt something like this?

BTW, thanks again for your help. Even if I’m not able to tackle this yet, I am all for leaning about new methods and things that go into brewing.