Hard Seltzer - Stuck Fermentation

Seltzers are notorious for throwing sulfur due to the lack of nutrients and weak fermentation to blow it out.
You may want to consider CO2 bubbling before packaging, once it hits its FG.

1 Like

Oh yes… I do too when stressed out…
Is it as simple as a wine yeast to correct this?
Sneezles61

It’s not that simple! :wink:. Although wine yeast are a little more adept to simple sugar, You still need to feed them the correct nutrients, at the correct time.

Some of these are actually vodka that’s diluted. And some breweries use a small amount of malt, which I’m betting is to assist with the nutrients.

2 Likes

—UPDATE—

I added the chitosan pack early Saturday and the product cleared nicely over the next few days.

5 days later I cold-crashed in the kegerator.

The next day (today), I’ve racked the product to my keg and added the black cherry flavoring. It’s now sitting on the gas at about 40 PSI. Should be carbed nicely by tomorrow afternoon/evening. I sampled the product when I measured the FG (before adding the flavor extract). Still has a pleasant flavor so I’m optimistic this is gonna be good.

Final Gravity = 0.998
Final Taste Test…TBD (fingers crossed)

Gas into the liquid post? Back check valve too?
Sneezles61

Yes…gas connected on liquid side. No check valve…just Uber careful when connecting/disconnecting.

Maybe bum out the regs… Charge and disconnect may be safest… Throw salt over yer shoulder…
Sneezles61

Final taste results:

The seltzer got mixed semi-positive reviews over the weekend. This is a sample size of about 10 ladies (ranging in age from 21 to 50).

About 1/2 of the group liked it and said it was actually better (different…but better) than White Claw - Black Cherry.
The other 1/2 of the group said it was ‘acceptable’ and they would drink it…but not as good as the original White Claw.

Nobody hated it…this was supported by the ~3 gallons consumed over the weekend.

Next step…I have another kit identical to the first. I’m gonna try it again but this time I’m going to add the yeast energizer every 48 hours for the first 6 days. I also have ordered an oxygenation kit that I’ll use before I pitch the yeast and again each time I add the nutrient. We’ll see if that makes a difference.