Hanks Hefeweizen

Hey everyone

I had another question since I am brewing up my first batch this weekend and wanted to make sure I had everything planned out correctly. I have a hanks hefeweizen receipe kit from midwest supplies and have been reading different insructions on it. Should I transfer this to a secondary at any time of should I just use a primary then bottle it? Also I’m sure this is a dumb question but if I am only using a primary does that mean it goes directly into the glass carboy or do I only use the carboy when I am doing a secondary?

Thanks everyone! Also if anyone has brewed this up before, you have any opinions on it?

:cheers:

Since this is a wheat beer personally I see zero reason to use a secondary. I would just brew and let it sit in the primary for 2-3 weeks and be done with it.

as far as the carboy question - I am not sure exactly what equipment you have. I am assuming you have a fermeting bucket and a carboy for a secondary (a 5 gallon one???). If so, then ONLY use the fermenting bucket. do not use the carboy if it is a 5 gallon for primary.

if the carboy is a 6.5 gallon then you can also use that for a primary with a blow off tube, but again my guess is that is not the size you have.

so in summary:

1. skip secondary
  2. use fermenting bucket

Thanks for the info

Here is the kit I have http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing- … kit-1.html

It comes with a 6.5 gallon fermentor and a 5 gallon glass carboy

So I will just use the fermenting bucket for 2-3 then bottle

Thanks again!

Ah, great starting kit. exact same one I got (basically) about 3 years ago (from the same place too…)

yep - with that set up the 5 gallon carboy is meant for a secondary only. not enough space for primary. Later if you want to add to this then you can get a 6.5 gallon glass or plastic carboy too, or even one of the big mouth things they have now, or even another fermenting bucket. but again yep for now you are right on course.

enjoy. I think you picked out a good kit too. I have made this one and really liked it, especially in summer

Great! I can’t wait to get started on it. Thanks for all the info :cheers:

Yeah, good luck with your batch!