Had to Sacrifice my Keg Cooler

…for free meat.

I have a friend who’s a pork producer who had 3 hogs he couldn’t load, they’re either getting destroyed or my buddies and I can come cut them up. You can’t just throw 300# of meat in one freezer so we have 2 or 3 lined up (including mine) until stuff is frozen solid. I’m out of beer until then.

Beer or pork?

Both! Take the pork and start bottling. Once you have a few case’s then have a bigg a$$ bbq to free up your keg cooler.

I’m going to butcher a hog next week, my friend’s uncle has a setup with cooler, meat saw, grinder, he even cures and smokes bacon. Will be purchasing a 300lb animal for something like $200, should come out to less than $1.50/lb for meat. They said they got 40lb of bacon from the last pig they butchered, and almost 2/3 of the live weight as meat and lard. I’ve butchered my own deer for several years but never saw a hog done so I’m excited. Nothing like seeing where your food comes from and participating more than just picking up a plastic wrapped package at Walmart. Fortunately I have an upright freezer for food, so my small beer deep freeze is probably safe.

Good luck, beer with no meat is bad. You can always keep a sixer cold in the fridge.

Quick, search Craiglist for a freezer!

The good thing is I’ll only be out of my freezer until it’s frozen solid then we’ll put it in this large freezer my friend has. A couple guys put too much in a chest freezer once and some of it spoiled because it didn’t get frozen fast enough, so we’re spreading it out amongst several freezers.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]I’m going to butcher a hog next week, my friend’s uncle has a setup with cooler, meat saw, grinder, he even cures and smokes bacon.[/quote]I wish we had a setup like that, we’re going to be hanging them from a skid loader and cutting them apart with a sawzall and trimming on a sawhorse and plywood table outside. We’re going to mainly do primal cuts for smoking and loin chops.

[quote=“Glug Master”]The good thing is I’ll only be out of my freezer until it’s frozen solid then we’ll put it in this large freezer my friend has. A couple guys put too much in a chest freezer once and some of it spoiled because it didn’t get frozen fast enough, so we’re spreading it out amongst several freezers.

Hey however it gets done is fine. I like the idea of a Sawzall on a carcass. Kind of 21st century primieval.

The only good pig is one that sits on a plate…
And remember, bacon goes with EVERYTHING! :cheers:

Beer! I don’t eat meat so much these days, so it’d definitely be beer for me. Those poor little piggies…or huge by the sounds of it…

This thread is making me hungry! Also taking me back to my childhood. My grandfather used to slaughter a steer and a hog every year. He made his own sausage and cured hams and bacon in the smoke house. Nothing like fresh organic meat!

And you live in Iowa!?

Even if pork wasn’t poisonous to humans, if I had to choose, I’d go with beer over pig. Beer over any food, really. :wink:

But if you want to have both, you can put one keg in a shallow pan of ice water to keep the bottom section cold and use a party tap to dispense. Every now and then hit it with a little CO2 to keep it pouring. The pork ought to freeze solid in just a day or two unless you really pack it in there.

[quote=“Shadetree”]Even if pork wasn’t poisonous to humans, …

Elaborate, Brother…That’s a new one on me!

[quote=“Stealthcruiser”][quote=“Shadetree”]Even if pork wasn’t poisonous to humans, …

Elaborate, Brother…That’s a new one on me![/quote][/quote]
Nah…keep it to yourself. I’d prefer to enjoy my pork in ignorance! haha

And you live in Iowa!?[/quote]
I know. I like sausage, I like ham, and I still eat it. But, I find I eat much much healthier if I don’t eat meat so much (more vegetables!). And thusly can drink more beer.

[quote=“dannyboy58”]I’d prefer to enjoy my pork in ignorance![/quote]That’s probably the best idea when it comes to eating just about any factory-farmed meat product today. Check out “Fast Food Nation” if you want to take just a little peek under the kimono, though.

We ended up only cutting up 2 of the hogs, it got late on us and it was about 34 with light rain and 30 mph gusts, we ended up getting around 4" of snow last night.

The bad news is that the large freezer we were going to store the meat in didn’t work so my freezer is going to be occupied for awhile. I think I’m going to bite the bullet and get a new refrigerator and convert my old one to a kegorator.

[quote=“Glug Master”]I think I’m going to bite the bullet and get a new refrigerator and convert my old one to a kegorator.[/quote]Before you spring for a new fridge, check craigslist - I’ve bought three used fridges/freezers and all lasted at least a couple years before crapping out and one is still going strong 4+ years later. Didn’t pay more than $75 for any of them.

You’re absolutely right regarding factory farms. I have done a bit of research on their products and the harm they do to the environment. Couldn’t agree more that America’s food supply is not what it used to be to say the very least.

You’re absolutely right regarding factory farms. I have done a bit of research on their products and the harm they do to the environment. Couldn’t agree more that America’s food supply is not what it used to be to say the very least.[/quote]
Yep, this is mostly why I choose not to eat meat so much these days, as well as not wanting to kill an animal solely for my pleasure.