H2O: Help me choose the least of two evils

test strips are very innacurate so it is hard to say where it really is at

You have several issues:

1.) Test strips aren’t as accurate as a meter and a meter isn’t accurate if it’s not maintained or calibrated properly

2.) Stratification of pH in the mash. The pH will vary from the top of the mash to the bottom. Did you add the acid to the mash and then stir the mash, even so there will still be stratification of both pH and temperature.

3.) What temperature was the wort you measured? There’s a difference in pH of about -.3 when measured at mash temp vs room temp. If 5.1 was measured at mash temp then the room temp pH is likely around 5.4. If you cooled the sample to room temp and measured 5.1 then the pH of that sample is likely 5.1.

Acid was added to the water prior to dumping into the mash tun. Test strip was dipped into upper surface of mash at roughly 150°F. Thanks again for all the knowledge.

IMHO acid should only added to the mash not the mash water because you want to measure the pH of the mash before you acidify it. Using the spreadsheet will get you in the right area, but just a good habit to get into.

Looks like the pH is ~5.4 @ room temperature, so it should be ok.

Brunwater assumes you are adding your acid to your strike water before you heat it I believe.

IMHO acid should only added to the mash not the mash water because you want to measure the pH of the mash before you acidify it. Using the spreadsheet will get you in the right area, but just a good habit to get into.

Looks like the pH is ~5.4 @ room temperature, so it should be ok.[/quote]

Using Bru’nwater, it’s recommended to add all additions to the water before heating it. According to Martin, heating the water will change the pH and Bru’water does it’s calculations based on unheated water. I used to measure the pH of the mash, then adjust, but since I started using Bru’nwater I can accurately make all additions before heating.

Generally - I don’t use spreadsheets to estimate acidity, only to guesstimate what the salt ppm values are, therefore I’ve always measured and adjusted (both mash and sparge). IMHO, with a good pH meter, it’s more accurate than the spreadsheets out there.

Perhaps someone can point me to a study where the spreadsheet recommendations were used in an actual mash and compared with measured values of the same mash.

[quote=“Denny”]

heating the water will change the pH and Bru’water does it’s calculations based on unheated water. [/quote]

The heating is not really changing the pH much, but it can reduce the alkalinity of the tap water if that water has high temporary hardness.

Generally - I don’t use spreadsheets to estimate acidity, only to guesstimate what the salt ppm values are, therefore I’ve always measured and adjusted (both mash and sparge). IMHO, with a good pH meter, it’s more accurate than the spreadsheets out there.

Perhaps someone can point me to a study where the spreadsheet recommendations were used in an actual mash and compared with measured values of the same mash.[/quote]
I can’t point you to a documented study but in my personal and somewhat limited experience using a pH meter, twelve 5 gallon batches, the mash has been within +/- .1 of what Brunwater predicted.

Every time I brew. I use Bru’water to calculate my additons and both flavor and pH measurement with a calibrated meter confirm that the calculations are right on.

[quote=“mabrungard”][quote=“Denny”]

heating the water will change the pH and Bru’water does it’s calculations based on unheated water. [/quote]

The heating is not really changing the pH much, but it can reduce the alkalinity of the tap water if that water has high temporary hardness.[/quote]

Thank you for the clarification, Martin.