Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Gypsum causes boilovers?

Just a theory. I was never a gypsum user, but included it a couple of batches recently (a teaspoon in the brewing water - i.e. there through the mash) and I got ridiculously vigorous boils. Granted they were higher gravity brews, but my IPA was no higher than my strong golden, which didn’t have gypsum and didn’t go wild.
My most recent brew was a wit - no gypsum - and I got very modest frothing as I reached a boil. There was plenty of protein and starch around, though my gravity was lowish…
I accuse the gypsum on the back patio.

That could be. Certainly adding gypsum to boiling wort would cause a boil over but that’s not what you’re doing right? The Ca may be promoting the formation of more break material. I started getting much better hot break separation when I started using gypsum or cal. cholride in the boil.

Could be that the gypsum is changing the pH in the mash so that you’re getting more loose protein which is coagulating on top and causing the boilover. A couple drops of Fermcap-S will break the surface tension of the sludge and it will disappear just as it comes to a boil.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com