Gross tap water okay for AG brew?

So i’ve put off brewing for the last month because the tapwater in our town is gross. Apparently the lake that provides all the local towns with water is having algae issues. It happens every year, but usually gets over it in a day or two. I don’t know if its our unseasonably nice weather prolonging the process or what, but our water is so gross I’ve been leary about brewing with it. Now I’m impatient. So should I pre-boil all the water, or just brew as normal and get all the yucky out during the normal boil? Sorry for such a long post for such a simple question. Thanks in advance for your advice!

If the water is that bad I would not use it. Maybe you can filter it with a Pur or Brita or you can use bottled water.

A carbon filter will take out the organics - the same thing happens here every summer but this year is particularly bad with the massive drought and reduced flow through the river and lakes, can’t drink water from the tap without cringing but the filtered water is the same as always.

I wouldn’t brew with water that’s not good to drink. For most people, filtered water is cheap enough as to be less than 10% of the brewing cost, so I’d suggest you go that route.

I would use bottled water for this batch. I just had somewhat of the same issue in the spring and the beer I made was horrible smelling and not very good tasting.

Around here RO water is 40 cents per gallon at Wally World if you bring your own containers. For a couple of bucks, I wouldn’t risk it. You’ll be kicking yourself if you use bad water and it doesn’t come out right!!

I agree with the above posts, wouldn’t risk it on a batch. Bottled water would be the way I would go until it clears up. Or do as Shadetree suggested, and pick yourself up a carbon filter.

dont brew with it

I wouldn’t brew with it. I’ve used bottled water for the most part and had good results. Just recently had my water tested and plan on picking up a carbon filter. I’m going to brew with my tap water. What does a carbon filter rid the water of? Chlorine, contaminants, etc.? I believe it does leave the necessary minerals for all-grain conversion, right?

Just to follow up on this, my water returned to normal. I don’t know if it was because of the rain or what, but it’s back to normal. I brewer the other day and all was well. Thanks for all your input everyone!

Good to hear that your water is back to normal.

Just going to agree with the above. My well has a nasty iron problem that my water softener takes care of. Of course, I can’t use soft water to brew the stuff I like either so I just go out and buy jugs of spring water from Wal-Mart until I can figure out a way to take the iron out without taking the hardness out.

[quote=“bassmannate”]Good to hear that your water is back to normal.

Just going to agree with the above. My well has a nasty iron problem that my water softener takes care of. Of course, I can’t use soft water to brew the stuff I like either so I just go out and buy jugs of spring water from Wal-Mart until I can figure out a way to take the iron out without taking the hardness out.[/quote]

This is what I use to remove the iron in my water. It works very well.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyrolox-Fleck-Sul ... B00538JAZK