Great Weissbier Project 2007 follow-up

So here’s a funny story. I’ve been able to make a decent hefe but it just lacked that special something. I read the begininng of the thread started years ago in this forum and brewed “Selair’s” hefe recipe posted on the first page that was supposedly very similar to Paulaner. An odd recipe at first glance, though.

Well, after brewing and kegging it I got around to reading most of the rest of the thread where everybody decided just pils and wheat malt were all that were needed to make a good hefe. And I thought, “oh crap, I’ve brewed a dud.”

Actually, it’s the best hefe I’ve ever done and possesses that oomph in the malt that’d been missing. Interestingly, the recipe on the Weyermann site is very similar to what I brewed. Maybe Selair was onto something after all…

Pete

I think he was as well. That said, the response from my extended family caused me to drop the carafa ii. After that, it received very good reviews (probably on sight alone). On my most recent batch of it, I dropped in 0.25 lbs of Melanoiden malt. Rave reviews.

Again, the ultimate recipe in post 1 of that thread was excellent. But I think the lighter version with melanoiden might be better.

YMMV

After brewing lots of weizens over several years and never being satisfied, I’ve started working with yeast temps and cold crashing and think I’m closer than ever. I wanted a weizen with banana, clove and bubble gum with some residual sweetness but I could never get all three flavors/aromas and my weizens always had a tart finish. I ignored the traditional advice and began pitching large starters of 3068 at 74 degrees. I kept the fermenter in a water bath to minimize temp changes but allowed it to free rise. Once I’m within 2 pts of my target FG(usually 48hrs), I cold crash in an ice water bath. Allowing the yeast to ferment out completely seems to dry the beer too much even with high mash temps and invariably leads to a tart finish. I refuse to add cara malts to a weizen. I’ve added 10% Munich to the basic Pils/Wheat recipe and I’m much closer to German weizens now.