Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Great use of OAK - Cost Plus

So was at the Cost Plus, and came across (in the BBQ area) a package of used Red Wine Oak Barrel staves that had been cut into 12 inch pieces, bundled in a pack of 6 for $13. And then onsale for 30% off.
Little dirty on the outside, so I soaked them in Vodka. Smelled heavy Oak, not much of the wine.

Tossed one 12 inch piece into the 2nd fermenter. Been in 10 days and ready to keg. I wonder, what if I put the stave into the serving keg. Wouldn’t that, in theory, give the hint of Cask conditioned? And serving it from a cask?
Also I bet I can clean it and reuse, right? These are about 12in long, 1.5 in wide and about 1in thick.

I would say you are on to something here! What are they marketing the staves as being used for? I’ve always thought about using some of those smoking wood chips in a beer too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When trying to get the flavor of oak into your beers you generally want to try to get as much surface area exposed as possible. I’m not sure such a big chunk of wood will provide that. I could be wrong though and curious how this ends up turning out.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com