Gravity too High?

I am brewing a Robust Porter that had an OG of 1.075 and I moved it to Secondary after 3 days at 1.028. The yeast used was Danstar Windsor and so the calculation for attenuation was about right. I have been told by a few brewers that this is too high a gravity and that the ale will seem syrupy. It has been in the secondary about 5 to 6 days and has moved no further. Should I add additional yeast to move the gravity down to a level closer to 1.020? I was thinking of using Safeale 05 since I have some around.

The brew still looks pretty thick and so I assume there may be more sugars to be feasted upon. The secondary is a 5 gal. carboy, so there is not a lot of room for activity other than a gentle munching on the residual sugars.

Advice? It sure tastes good, so I don’t want to make a mistake.

I believe that you transferred off the primary way too early. I never move anything before two weeks and usually only after 3-4 weeks.

I have read that it will take a LOT of yeast to start it up again

it can take a lot of yeast. I have re-started a number of secondary by boiling some extract, yeast nutrient, & adding with new yeast to the secondary. just did yesterday with my Weizenbock. fermenting away right now like a mean bastard. do not re-aerate. I made that mistake once. wet cardboard.

The brew had been in primary close to two weeks when I started the gravity readings. It was three consecutive days of the same reading that originally convinced me to move to secondary. Now I wonder if it was a stalled fermentation.

To add yeast now, I was planning to rehydrate dry yeast and toss it in, but there is only a little room.