Gravity reading on 1 gallon batches

I just recently purchased a couple of 1 gallon kits from NB; Dead Ringer and WC Red. Can anyone recommend a way to take an original gravity reading on just 1 gallon of wort?
From what I’ve read, you only get about 7-9 bottles out of the 1 gallon kit so I don’t want to waste any wort for measuring purposes.

Thanks!

[quote=“Sordfish”]I just recently purchased a couple of 1 gallon kits from NB; Dead Ringer and WC Red. Can anyone recommend a way to take an original gravity reading on just 1 gallon of wort?
From what I’ve read, you only get about 7-9 bottles out of the 1 gallon kit so I don’t want to waste any wort for measuring purposes.

Thanks![/quote]

I wouldn’t worry about OG… if you use all the extract and hit your volume, your OG is going to be right on. You’ll still want to check FG, though. Is a refractometer an option? Uses far less to get a reading…

I thought about the refractometer…but it’s a little pricey.

Still a little pricy, Ebay has some for much less the the retail stores.

Refractometer is an option but you will have to calibrate it for FG with all the fermentation going on.
I used a turkey baster to pull samples into the test tube then returned it. Now I use a thief and a slimmer test tube so it takes even less to get a gravity reading.