Grassy Homegrown Hops used as FWH

Similar to the other recent thread on not being happy with homegrown hops, my cascades from last year turned out a little grassy. It was my first year growing so I probably picked them a little too soon. But that aside, I was thinking of using my remaining harvest in a black ipa or dark beer as a fwh (or maybe bittering addition). If i used them as a fwh, will I be getting any of the grassyness or just their bittering characteristics?

I consider FWH to be mainly about flavor. Based on my experience, you will get the flavor that your hops have.

Would it be better using them as a 60minute bittering addition then?

Would it be better using them as a 60minute bittering addition then?[/quote]

You’ll get less flavor but my experience is that you’ll still get some.

Would it be better using them as a 60minute bittering addition then?[/quote]

You’ll get less flavor but my experience is that you’ll still get some.[/quote]
I’m glad to hear an experienced brewer say that. I’ve tried to tell some people that there are hops that will leave a flavor/aroma impact even after being boiled for 60 minutes, and I’ve been told that that’s nonsense, and that for bittering additions, hops are hops. I’ve never agreed with that idea, and my own beers prove to me that people who insist on it don’t know what they’re talking about.

I would have to agree with Denny. Although you would not get a ton of flavor from your bittering charge, you are using a lot of hops and there will be some flavor component there.

I was originally told to bitter with whatever was high in alpha regardless of varietal, and lo and behold, all my beers had a Chinook character to them.

I would say that when choosing a bittering hop, you don’t have to be as concerned about flavor, as long as they are fresh, of good quality, and as long as their flavor profile is somewhat in tune with what you are looking to make.

[/quote] You’ll get less flavor but my experience is that you’ll still get some.[/quote]
I’m glad to hear an experienced brewer say that. I’ve tried to tell some people that there are hops that will leave a flavor/aroma impact even after being boiled for 60 minutes, and I’ve been told that that’s nonsense, and that for bittering additions, hops are hops. I’ve never agreed with that idea, and my own beers prove to me that people who insist on it don’t know what they’re talking about.[/quote]

Agreed! Use Magnum for bittering and then brew the same beer with Warrior for bittering. You will get a very different end product.