Grain to darken beer

I am planning to do a dunkelweizen but it is just not dark enough even with decoction. I am planning to use a dark grain at the end of the mash to help darken it. Anyone have suggestions of a dark grain that will darken but will not leave any bitter flavor to the beer.

Erik

Midnight wheat would be perfect. Although I’d use Sinamar in the kettle becasue it’s easier and more controllable.

Just about any black malt would work for this at the end of the mash.

True, though sinamar adds zero roast flavor, so it is truly perfect as a color adjustment. If you can’t get that, carafe special or any darkly roasted dehusked grain will work as the next best option.

Theres also a powdered product thats basically super-black DME, I’ve used both sinemar and this with good results.

True, though sinamar adds zero roast flavor, so it is truly perfect as a color adjustment. If you can’t get that, carafe special or any darkly roasted dehusked grain will work as the next best option.[/quote]

I prefer Sinamar becasue you don’t have to guess at how much malt you need to add to the mash. Just pour some Sinamar into the kettle, look ay it, adjust if necessary.

Another way is cold steeping your dark grains. This will give you color and not the roasted flavors from your grains. I do all my Schwarzbiers this way. I want them near black color and none of the roasted flavors.

I did that until I discovered Sinamar. Same thing, basically, and I don’t have to hassle with making it!

Sounds like using Sinamar is the best bet for me. Makes it easier to get the right color better. Thanks for the responses.

Erik