Grain mill advice

To those of you that have a mill, what one did you buy and are you happy with it? I’m looking at the barley crusher the price is right and it is well reviewed. My concern would be in the long run regretting not spending the extra money on something better. But really I guess that’s always the case with buying anything.

I love my BarleyCrusher. It comes with a hopper so it is the easiest to set up and use straight out of the box. Other mills require additional setup, but might be cheaper. So it depends what you want.

Bought a Barley Crusher mill a couple months ago. Only mill I’ve had experience with since that’s what my LHBS uses too. So far can’t imagine why I’d like any other mill better…

I use the MM2 and really like it. You can add on an 11-lb hopper or BYO. I considered the Barley Crusher, but at the time I had read quite a few reviews about the unpowered roller sticking. Never read a single negative review of a MM or Maltmill. In the grand scheme of things, they aren’t that much more than the BC.

How long have you been using it?

I don’t know… about 4 years or so. It sure beats the blender!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67843&p=622858&hilit=blender#p622858

I went the cheap way and got a corona style mill. Sounds like I should have just got a blender… (this means I dread the arduous task of crushing grain, and am looking to upgrade to a barley crusher.

I have one and have had it for about 8 batches and love it.

I’ve been pleased with my Monster Mill III. I got one cheap without a hopper (but it wasn’t too difficult to build the hopper). I’m still dialing in the settings, but I’ve identified too fine and not fine enough, so eventually I’ll get there.

Note: if your LHBS grinds your grain without asking and the grind isn’t fine enough, using your normal setting for a second pass will produce too fine a mash! The regular crew chief wasn’t there and the apprentice apparently didn’t know that some customers prefer to grind their own.

I’ve had a crankandstein 2 roller mill for a long time. Works great.

I also own the MM2 and really like it, and also purchased it for the same reasons. I got the MM2 based on price, though now I wish I owned the MM3. I speculate that the crush quality on the MM3 is superior due to its inherent two-crush design.

If you’re looking into the MM series, then give the owner an email and ask him questions. I found him to be honest and forthright and helpful.

Cheers.

I’ve had a BC for over 7 years and it has served me well however the knurling on the rollers is worn pretty well, I need to send it back for reconditioning. If I were in the market for one now I would likely go with the Monster Mill.

I used a corona for about 3 years then my wife bought me a JSP malt mill cause I was just dying for a roller mill. I have really enjoyed using the JSP MM and have fashioned a hasty hopper expansion using a costco size cereal box and two spring clamps. It also motorizes real nice with my Ryobi drill that my wife bought me last Christmas.

Man my wife rocks, here are all the gifts she has given me over the years for brewing:
2 Keg system
Perilick Faucet
Refractometer
JSP malt mill
Bayou burner & Stand
Various ingredient kits

Oh and of course my original brewing kit!!

I have owned both a Barley Crusher and a Monster Mill. My advice: Get the monster!!

Millars Mills look pretty nice. $140

Same here. Been using it for 10 years now.

In reality, unless they buy a Corona mill, everyone seems to love whatever mill they buy. Pick out one that has an adjustable gap that you can lock down (you’ll likely never change the setting after you get it where you want it), can be hooked up to an electric drill or motor, and either has a hopper or is set up to easily add one.

[quote=“rebuiltcellars”]
In reality, unless they buy a Corona mill, everyone seems to love whatever mill they buy. [/quote]

See, I had a BC and did not love it. Sold it and got a Monster.

[quote=“Wahoo”][quote=“rebuiltcellars”]
In reality, unless they buy a Corona mill, everyone seems to love whatever mill they buy. [/quote]

See, I had a BC and did not love it. Sold it and got a Monster.[/quote]
Yeah, but you’re weird. :lol:

This question comes up periodically on the forum, and you are the first person I’ve heard complain about his mill. What was the problem with the BC? Now I’m curious.

I own a BC and a Schmidling (because the BC was stalling and not pulling the grain through, regardless of setting adjustment). Now the BC is my loaner to the guys in the neighborhood.

[quote=“rebuiltcellars”][quote=“Wahoo”][quote=“rebuiltcellars”]

See, I had a BC and did not love it. Sold it and got a Monster.[/quote]
Yeah, but you’re weird. :lol:

This question comes up periodically on the forum, and you are the first person I’ve heard complain about his mill. What was the problem with the BC? Now I’m curious.[/quote]

Do a search and I think you’ll find several examples where I, and others, experienced problems with the non-driven roller.

Here’s one: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=93610

Another: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81571

And, another: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38945

One more: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109793
:cheers: