Governor regulator vs the other one

could someone please help me to understand the difference between the governor and the more standard regulator of old? I know it is the difference of 10 bucks but I’m just trying to understand the difference and with the likelihood of expansion I would like to get the right one the first time.

Thanks!

Governor

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... ernor.html

Standard

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... lator.html

for whats its worth I have the governor reg and very happy with it so far.

The main difference is that for the standard regulator, you will most likely need a screw driver to adjust pressure. The Governor has a handle, much easier. I don’t know this for sure but based on the pictures it may not be possible to rebuild the Governor if it were to fail. The standard one is easy to rebuild if you should ever need to. Looks like the standard one is brass, Governor is chrome plated. If expansion is in your future might a recommend a dual body regulator, whether standard or Governor. That way you can serve at 1 pressure, force carb at another. And of course you know proper carb level depends on style as well, so you might want to carb at different levels anyways.

:cheers:

From my perspective…form v functionality…I generally go with functionality.

I have taprite regs. They have a big red dial for setting pressure, no screw driver required. All brass fittings.

The rubberized gauges on the governor are intriguing…I have had a reg fall and get bashed up. still works though.

The guv sure is pretty but I couldn’t use it because it’s named after my least favorite character from Walking Dead. :cheers:

thanks for the responses fellas…this is definitely in line with what i was thinking (governor looks pretty, the standard is functional is hell). i think i will go with the latter.

i’m sure this has been asked a billion times on this forum but if i were to buy a single regulator, they are modular, correct? in that i could easily slap on another in the case that i want to have two regulators for the cases previously mentioned of serving/force carbing at the same time?

[quote=“broseph”]thanks for the responses fellas…this is definitely in line with what i was thinking (governor looks pretty, the standard is functional is hell). i think i will go with the latter.

i’m sure this has been asked a billion times on this forum but if i were to buy a single regulator, they are modular, correct? in that i could easily slap on another in the case that i want to have two regulators for the cases previously mentioned of serving/force carbing at the same time?[/quote]
yep. I currently run 4 kegs off 2 low pressure regs. with splitters.