Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Got Questions?

We’re gearing up to do another all Q&A episode of Experimental Brewing and we need your questions! Ask us about anything…beer, brewing, Drew’s weight loss plan, why Denny won’t stop playing that damn ukulele…ANYTHING! Send your questions to questions@experimentalbrew.com. We’ll pick what we think are the 3 best questions and call you so you can talk to us on the show! Wow, wotta treat! Well, send 'em in anyway! :slight_smile:

I’ve been at this for a few years. I know enough to know, I’m no expert, but I’m no noob either. I just don’t “get it” when it comes to sparge techniques. I see a lot statements that sound like opinion, or my-way-is-best, but I don’t get the science.

BIAB can do no sparge; when I BIAB, I rinse the bag but I often hear that a slow, (tedious) sparge is the way to go.

How exactly does sparge rate impact the final product?

1 Like

I’ll start the answer here…it depends. If you are set up to batch sparge, s low sparge will make no difference. You can sparge as quickly as your system will allow You can do no sparge with any kind kind of set up.

My entire bung and airlock popped off while I was sleeping. Possibly 6 hours. Do you think everything is A OK?

How long since pitching yeast? During active fermentation, no biggie. Open fermentation actually has some benefits for certain styles. During secondary? Some decent risk of infection or oxidation.

Well it was the night I moved it to the secondary. Needless to say I popped it back on when I saw it and I’ll begin dry hopping on Sunday.

You’ll be fine. Unless you have a large canine living in your house, it’s unlikely that anything got in there. Racking tends to knock out a bunch of CO2 from suspension, which should displace any oxygen and create a slight positive pressure to keep stuff out of there.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com