Got oak. Need info. Thinking Waldo lake

Ok I have a lb of lightly toasted oak chips. I’m thinking of oaking a Waldo lake amber ale. How much oak is typically used? I assume you can do it in a panty hose just like dry hopping. Right?

Barry

You can do it in a panty hose like dry hoping but no need. I would recommend not as chips benefit from their greater amount of surface area.

I would suggest placing 4 oz. in vodka to sterilize and dump them in. I would check after about 2 weeks. Like I mentioned earlier, due to their surface area they are MUCH quicker to add oak flavor.

If I could make another suggestion… I would take a third and do nothing with them, take another third and give them a darker toast, and a darker toast on the last third. This will give you a more round flavor. You can use a simple propane torch.

In other words the “lite” toasted might not be toasty enough? It seems if i got that right that I would leave 1/3 alone, slightly brown 1/3 and toast pretty well the last 1/3. Umm how far does one go before a toast become a burn? Are we talking a chocholate colored chip or blackened?

Thanks for the info,

Barry

Yes, more chocolate chip color rather than burnt. By toasting to different levels you are going to get a broader range of flavors. Light toast gives a fresh oak and slight coconut flavor, medium gives vanilla and caramel, and heavy gives strong caramel and a toasty flavor. This is especially true with the chips as the manufacturer is pretty good at toasting the chips to the same level.

Thanks for the clarification.

This will be this weekends brew so we will see what I get.

Barry