Got a immersion chiller... now what?

Just got my copper IC delivered today (finally… took 2 weeks from ordering :x )
So is there any prep work that needs to be done. Cleaning, sanitizing, etc?

You can dip it in some vinegar, run a scrubbie over it then rinse it well. Maybe boil it in some water. Probably doesn’t have anything on it like grease/oil that would really need to be removed though.

My adivce as far as using them, stir the wort constantly to keep a good flow over the coil. This will give you the fastest cooling. Also, I used to run the water slow enough that the first stuff coming out was really hot. This is most efficienct as far as the amount of water used, but to get fastest cooling you want to run the water fast enough that it is only modestly warm coming out of the IC.

When I got mine it was really clean so I just sparyed it down with star san and dropped it in for the last 15 min. of the boil. Usually at the same time I add the Irish moss. So far no problems. One thing to remember is to tighten the fittings as temp. changes will cause them to loosen. This is a great tool. My well water comes in at 54 degrees f. and I can chill 5 gallons to pitching temp in 10 minutes.

Excellent, thanks! It’s pretty darn shiny so i don’t think it needs to be scrubbed. I think I’ll just give it a dunk in starsan before first use. Good tip on tightening the fittings! Would never have thought of that until one popped off or started leaking hot wort water all over.

Dobe where did you pick yours up at

[quote=“dobe12”]Would never have thought of that until one popped off or started leaking hot wort water all over.[/quote]That’s not the one that will pop off first - the incoming water is under pressure as it’s forced into the smaller diameter IC and water will start spraying directly into your boil kettle if it possibly can, so tighten the fittings once it’s been in the kettle for a few minutes to warm it up and have a screwdriver handy when you turn on the water.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D4 ... 00_s00_i00

I was going to just build one myself, but the price of copper has gone way up. It would have cost me only a little less to make my own then to buy one premade and shipped. Just made more sense this way.

also, figure out what you’ll do with your hot output water. I do laundry with mine… right into the washing machine :cheers:

+1 on these guys - I got the 1/2" diameter version for about the same price as the copper coil would have cost at Home Depot. Mine had a thin sheen of machine oil on it, though, so I had to clean before use.

I’m cooling mine in a bathroom. Live in a condo with no outside hook up. So I got a connection to hook the IC up to my sink. So, cool water in from the sink. Hot water out into the tub. I also don’t pay for water so… score!

+1 on these guys - I got the 1/2" diameter version for about the same price as the copper coil would have cost at Home Depot. Mine had a thin sheen of machine oil on it, though, so I had to clean before use.[/quote]

+1000. I priced out the copper and vinyl tubing, estimated the hose connection and clamps and figured it would cost me almost as much as what they were charging for the unit (not including shipping). So for the cost of shipping, it saved me a trip to home depot and the frustration of trying to coil the pipe nice and neat.