Good Time At FWIW Homebrew Contest

Judged at For What Its Wort, a homebrew contest in Bloomington/Normal IL sponsored by the ABNormal Brewers. I got Belgian and French in the morning, and Smoke/Wood in the afternoon. Judged with National ranked judges both sessions which is always a privilege. MY wife stewarded and did her usual excellent job. I understand they had about 200 entries and 20 judges so we weren’t swamped with samples. Lunch was a fantastic smoked brisket with a mustard BBQ sauce. Didn’t stay for the BOS so I don’t know what won, I can say that the level of beers I tasted was very high. This is why I judge, to see what can be done in a homebrew setting.

We were also given free tickets to a beer festival that evening, called Bruegala. Live music, BBQ and nachos, and over 200 different bottled beers for tasting. The tasting bldg was a madhouse but we managed to taste 15 beers before my liver gave out. Had an Alesmith Strong Scotch and the Best By from Stone, offerings from Two Brothers and Five Rabbits out of Chicago, as well as Bretagne that I had not heard of before. There were others of course and I didn’t hit all I thought would be worthwhile, maybe if I hadn’t judged the same day I would have gone longer.

Anyway, just thought I’d describe a little about judging a homebrew contest so it would inspire people to get out and judge.