Good recipie to do 1st beer w/ Citra

Having looked at some of the posts is seems that Citra is a Hops one must blend with others to make a nice tasty beer. Any suggestions for this run. I would like get a good citrus flavor but not a lot of cat urine smells. Will be either a londen ale yeast or D-50 yeast.

Barry

Well I like to bitter with a low cohumolone hop like Warrior or Magnum. I have mixed Citra with Amarillo as well as Simcoe and it’s worked out pretty well for me. I do agree, I wouldn’t want to use only Citra. Incidentally, I don’t think I would use Mosaic by itself either.

I have been reading alot of the Citra related posts, they are pretty clear that Citra alone is somewhat catty, but they all mention that Mosaic is reallly catty. I imagine you could make some pretty undrinkable stuff by useing those two together. I am thinking Warrior as the combo, now I am trying to figure out the best %. Seems many say going over 1/3 Citra is flirting with the litterbox. So maybe 2/3 warrior and 1/3 Citra.

Barry

In my experience the cattiness only comes through with additions before the 30min mark. One of my best beers has Citra almost exclusively.

0.75oz Magnum @ 60min
0.5oz Citra @ 20min
0.5oz Citra @ 15min
1.0oz Citra @ 10min
1.0oz Citra @ 5min
2.0oz Citra @ Dry Hop 7 Days

Some say Citra is a little one dimensional. Which it kinda is, but doing an (almost) single hop will give you a great idea of what you want/can do with this hop in the future and it made a fine beer. Zero cattiness.

[quote=“GeerBoggles”]In my experience the cattiness only comes through with additions before the 30min mark. One of my best beers has Citra almost exclusively.

0.75oz Magnum @ 60min
0.5oz Citra @ 20min
0.5oz Citra @ 15min
1.0oz Citra @ 10min
1.0oz Citra @ 5min
2.0oz Citra @ Dry Hop 7 Days

Some say Citra is a little one dimensional. Which it kinda is, but doing an (almost) single hop will give you a great idea of what you want/can do with this hop in the future and it made a fine beer. Zero cattiness.[/quote]

I heartily agree with GeerBoggles. I brewed an IPA with a Centennial bittering charge followed only by Citra at 10 and 5 minutes and DH. It was great and there was no cattiness at all. Next time I would consider using other hops - I do this not because I was unhappy with the brew, but because I like to try new things.

Enjoy the Citra.

Thanks guys. Think I’m going to use the grain bill for one of my other IPAs and use your hops charges. I do want to get a good idea what Citra has to offer. Just didn’t want two cases of litterbox flavored beer.

Barry

Citra is tasty. Mosaic is litterbox.

Citra is also extremely variable. From year to year it will go from wonderful mango and pineapple flavors to like nothing at all. But when it’s good it’s really good. It usually has a very strong flavor.

But not downright nasty like Mosaic.

Go ahead and use as much Citra as you like. If you like American hops with a little something different in the tropical fruit department, you’ll probably love it. If you just want to test it out but not have it overpowering, then limit it to 1/3 of the total hop bill.

My favorite Citra recipe:

12 lb 2 row
8 oz white wheat malt
8 oz carapils
12 oz crystal 15 (have also used crystal 40)
0.5 oz magnum - 60 mins
1 oz Citra - 15 mins
1 oz Citra - 5 mins
1 oz Citra - dry hop
US-05

MeeeYow!!!

I love “catty”.

Try a Zombie Dust clone.
10.5 - 2-row
1 - munich
.5 - carafoam
.5 - C 75
.5 - melanoidin

1oz of Citra at 60
                                  WY 1272

A very good brew with slight to none catty thing. Unless??

My girlfriend had a Citra IPA, so I was ordered to make one. No catty-ness
:smiley:

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.5 oz Citra [13.4%] - Boil 60 min
0.5 oz Citra [13.4%] - Boil 45 min
0.5 oz Citra [13.4%] - Boil 20 min
0.75 oz Citra [13.4%] - Boil 10 min
0.75 oz Citra [13.4%] - Boil 0 min
1 pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast 11
2.0 oz Citra [13.4%] - Dry Hop 7 days