Good hops to compliment rye

got a blvd wheat clone on deck that I’m going to add a couple lbs of flaked rye to. was thinking of adding some willamette to balance it out.

I’ve also had good success with Saaz in a rye. The rye that I make is in an AIPA style, so I also use Chinook and CTZ to bring out the earthiness/heartiness.

Willamette should work great.

I’ve also had good success with Saaz in a rye. The rye that I make is in an AIPA style, so I also use Chinook and CTZ to bring out the earthiness/heartiness.

Willamette should work great.[/quote]

Thanks thats exactly the advice i am looking for and thats exactly the flavor i am wanting to bring out.

Anything citrusy is good, but I especially like a 50/50 mix of Centennial and Amarillo with rye. A little Nugget in there for an orangey-flower component is nice, too.

Any English or German style hops go great with rye. Well anything really. I typically use Hallertau myself, but it’s all good.

I made a rye ale with all Falconer’s Flight (and 7 C’s), it turned out great and I will certainly use this proprietary blend again.

Well, there’s a recipe floating around out there that uses Mt Hood and Columbus. I hear it’s pretty good. :smiley:

So I guess what people are saying is that there are a lot of things that go well with rye. Spicey, earthy, citrus, ect… Guess it depends on what you want in this beer.

For me personally I’ve had good success in an American Red with Rye featuring Cascade and Centennial. I’m currently testing out a Rye Pilsner of sorts with Saaz and have that Red Rye grain bag siting around with a few ounces of Nugget.

wow guys they are all some of my favorite hops I’ll let ya know what I do.

Just another data point for the earth, spicy, citrus with rye. I use a combo of Pacific Jade and Crystal with a touch of Perle in a session rye beer that is one of my favorites.

Caliente and rye are a combination I’ve been dying to try out. It’s a great hop anyway. Just hard to come by.

I’ve been very happy with that recipe that uses the Columbus and Mt. Hood with rye – a great combo. I’ve also had success with a combo of EKG and Fuggles in a rye lager, though I would call it good, not great. Been thinking about doing a traditional roggenbier this year; that would use whatever noble hops I have on hand, likely saaz and perhaps some Tettnang or Mittelfruh.

Yeah, I’m always looking for a way to include Caliente in my brews. It’s a great hop. I hope it becomes more available in upcoming seasons. It goes great with Motueka and Centennial.

I was recently thinking about a rye best bitter using challenger and goldings.

I’m going to brew a rye beer useing only Pacific Jade. I think that the pepper/citrus of Jade will compliment the spice of the rye.

Yeah, I’m always looking for a way to include Caliente in my brews. It’s a great hop. I hope it becomes more available in upcoming seasons. It goes great with Motueka and Centennial.[/quote]

glad i came upon this thread! I have about 12oz of Caliente left and was thinking of doing a hopburst with it…good way to blow through 5-6 ounces!

NB uses Sterling in two of their rye kits - American Rye, and The Sustainor Rye Maibock. I like Sterling for the clean, herbal flavor. This should work nice with the bready, spicy rye notes. Just a clean hop to balance but not overpower the malt.