Good deal on a turkey fryer

This looks like a good deal on a turkey fryer. I’m not in the market and at 7.5 gallons a little small for my usual batch size. Thought I would share though.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-30Quart-Propane-Turkey-Fryer/product/1112030501001/?cm_sp=GoOutdrsTkyFryerMay2013_EMAIL&om_rid=NEWeki&om_mid=_BRn3zuB8ywsvLn

Except it’s an aluminum kettle and who wants to catch alzheimer’s from beer?

That turned out to not be a real thing.

Long story short, some researchers took some Alzheimers patients who had been getting fed a whole bunch of aluminum as part of their treatment program (it was in pills they were being given) and pointed at them and shouted, “ZOMG WHERE DID ALL THIS ALUMINUM COME FROM!?” Then the newspapers caught wind and ran it before other researchers had a chance to point out, “Umm, maybe 'cuz you’ve been feeding it to them?” and, well. . . there you are.

At this point we’ve got about 4 decades’ worth of follow-up research confirming that there’s no connection, but of course non-scary stories are way boring compared to scary stories so nobody ever talks about the epilogue.

From alz.org [quote]Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.

Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.[/quote]
I had heard the Alzheimer’s aluminum stuff for a long time and was afraid to use it in brewing. Stainless is much more durable but much more expensive. I Googled it and found the above so it looks like it is OK.

[quote=“bunderbunder”]That turned out to not be a real thing.[/quote]I think Michael J. Fox would disagree.

He might well, but I’m not terribly inclined to take the opinion of an actor from '80s television over a well-supported scientific consensus. That’s the path that leads to Crocoduck.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=1076&tid=34

From the CDC.

[quote]Unprocessed foods like fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat contain very little aluminum.

Aluminum compounds may be added during processing of foods, such as:

flour
baking powder
coloring agents
anticaking agents

An average adult in the United States eats about 7–9 mg of aluminum per day in their food.[/quote]

[quote]

Oral exposure to aluminum is usually not harmful. Some studies show that people exposed to high levels of aluminum may develop Alzheimer’s disease, but other studies have not found this to be true. We do not know for certain that aluminum causes Alzheimer’s disease.

Some people who have kidney disease store a lot of aluminum in their bodies. The kidney disease causes less aluminum to be removed from the body in the urine. Sometimes, these people developed bone or brain diseases that doctors think were caused by the excess aluminum.

Although aluminum-containing over the counter oral products are considered safe in healthy individuals at recommended doses, some adverse effects have been observed following long-term use in some individuals.[/quote]

And what about the aluminum cans we drink out of? Millions of people would have Alzheimer’s disease from drinking soda and BMC.

i believe mr. fox has parkinson’s disease not alzheimer’s. then again i’ve been drinking out of aluminum cans most of my life.

One thing to note, this has a 15 minute timer. I got a very similar deal on one last year and LOVE the burner BUT it has a 12 minute timer. Only issue is I have to remember every 8 - 10 min or so to bend over and give it a twist. I might be able to rig or disable it somehow but I have not tried to bother to figure that out yet.

not the biggest deal breaker, but something to be aware of

he said crocoduck…
[attachment=0]crocoduck.jpg[/attachment]

[quote=“fullhousebrew”]One thing to note, this has a 15 minute timer. I got a very similar deal on one last year and LOVE the burner BUT it has a 12 minute timer. Only issue is I have to remember every 8 - 10 min or so to bend over and give it a twist. I might be able to rig or disable it somehow but I have not tried to bother to figure that out yet.

not the biggest deal breaker, but something to be aware of[/quote]

Many post on the web about disabling the timer.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]

Many post on the web about disabling the timer.[/quote]

Sweet, I will look it up. Ya I assumed it was not the most sophisticated device. I have only used it 3-4 times. kicks the a$$ out of my stove