Going to the store

to get my ingredients in about an hour here. Whaddaya think?

http://hopville.com/recipe/1480739/amer ... ankenstein

too much crystal imo…

Not sure if you pulled it from there or not, but the latest Zymurgy has the recipe.

Yeah, I personally try to stick to 10% crystal or less in my grain bills. Especially for an IPA which I like to finish on the dry side to really let the hops stand out. I’d drop it down. Or I like to add corn sugar to my IPAs to let them really ferment out. But that’s just me, I’m sure it would be a fine beer as is.

It’s a converted recipe so I can do a partial mash. I called it the Frankenstein since it was pulled together from several different recipes :smiley: Thanks for pointing out the crystal. It was supposed to be lower, but apparently that change didn’t save (it was originally calibrated for 60% efficiency).

I’ll dial back the crystal. Thanks guys.

Add at least 10 IBUs (should be 1:1 BU:GU or higher) and another ounce or more to the dryhops.

Anyone who is a fan of Lemmy and dispensing advice is a person I listen to. :cheers:

[quote=“Hoppenheimer”]Anyone who is a fan of Lemmy and dispensing advice is a person I listen to. :cheers: [/quote]I love American IPAs, favorite style to make and drink, and I buy hops in bulk so I’m quite free with their usage - IMO there’s really no way to add too much hop character to an IPA (although you can certainly make them too bitter), and finding the proper balance between the malt and the hops can be a challenge until you’ve made a few and know what you like. Another aspect is the quality and character of the bittering hops. And then there’s the water chemistry, too. Lots of variables to play with and lots of beer to be sampled along the way!

Two things stand out to me…

Back down on the C20. This coming from a guy who tends to use caramel fairly liberally. I like IPA’s to have a balanced flavor, so I tend to use a fair amount. I wouldn’t go over 10% or maaaaybe 12%.

I would never use Amarillo in the bittering charge, but that’s probably just me. You’ll lose nearly all that citrusy awesomeness to the ether.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]Two things stand out to me…

Back down on the C20. This coming from a guy who tends to use caramel fairly liberally. I like IPA’s to have a balanced flavor, so I tend to use a fair amount. I wouldn’t go over 10% or maaaaybe 12%.

I would never use Amarillo in the bittering charge, but that’s probably just me. You’ll lose nearly all that citrusy awesomeness to the ether.[/quote]

Not to worry. I dry hopped with Amarillo, Citra, Chinook, Columbus, Centennial.

[quote=“Hoppenheimer”]
Not to worry. I dry hopped with Amarillo, Citra, Chinook, Columbus, Centennial.[/quote]

Sounds nice. How many ounces did you use? I tried fitting 2 oz in my better bottle one time it was a serious pain. You use a bucket for fermentation? That would make it easy.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“Hoppenheimer”]
Not to worry. I dry hopped with Amarillo, Citra, Chinook, Columbus, Centennial.[/quote]

Sounds nice. How many ounces did you use? I tried fitting 2 oz in my better bottle one time it was a serious pain. You use a bucket for fermentation? That would make it easy.[/quote]

I used .5 oz. of each. I dry hop in a carboy and honestly it’s harder to screw the bag into it than it is to take them out once they’re all wet and flimsy.