Gluten Free IPA Please look

I know very little about Gluten Free. Please if you have any insight please advise.

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
3.15 lbs 32.23 % Briess White Sorghum LME 60 mins 1.037
6.00 lbs 61.38 % Briess White Sorghum LME 15 mins 1.037
2.00 ozs 1.28 % Candi Sugar, Amber 15 mins 1.036
0.50 lbs 5.12 % Malto Dextrine 15 mins 1.043

Hops
Amount IBU’s Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 38.28 Simcoe 60 mins 12.20
1.00 ozs 27.97 Sorachi Ace 30 mins 11.60
1.00 ozs 12.16 Cascade 20 mins 6.40
1.00 ozs 4.00 Cascade 5 mins 6.40
1.00 ozs 1.79 Citra 1 mins 13.20
2.00 ozs Citra 14 days 13.20

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 tsp Irish Moss 15 mins Boil

Are you adding the candi sugar for color? Sorghum has a weird aftertaste, so if I was going to make a gluten-free beer with it, I would use enough D180 syrup to hit maybe 15 SRM and hope that the caramel and fruit flavors help to cover the sorghum.

I’ve never brewed with sorghum, but the recipe looks good. I usually don’t like to use lots of different varieties of hops in a beer, since it tends to give muddy flavors. If you’re using 3, 4, or more varieties, make sure they have similar or complementary flavor profiles.

I wish that our host would start carrying Brown Rice Syrup - http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/GF_Syrups.htm. I’ve heard that it’s a lot more neutral and pleasant compared to sorghum. This recipe for instance looks interesting: http://blog.highgravitybrew.com/2011/03 … free-beer/. I’ve brewed a few beers with sorghum and they came out alright, similar to Bards or New Grist…meh.

ANYWAY. There are a couple of guys in St. Paul looking to start a G-Free brewery (hope they make it - Burning Brother brewing on FB). They had a G-free coffee stout that took a 2nd place medal at the MN. State Fair homebrew contest in the misc. category. I contacted them and one of their general recommendations was to bump up the late hop additions/hopburst to help mask the sorghum bite. I’d move some of your hops to later in the boil to help. I’ve added Candi Syrup to help bump up the SRM and hopefully add a little complexity to the sorghum. At this amount it doesn’t really come through much and probably only made a very pale beer, slightly darker.

Good luck.

I was using the candi sugar to adjust color. I was givin some advise as to keep it cool during feremntation. I will adjust my recipe to the syrup. I had read some info to up the hop additions to throw off the somewhat sweet/sour flavor. As far as hopping schedule I may just adjust to chinook bittering and all cascade in the later additions. I do however love citra as a dry hop. Am I okay to add the Malto-Dextrine. I read that head/body can lack? Thanks gents!

It’s gluten-free according to a website that I just looked at, so that’s not an issue. But as far as sorghum needing added body, can’t say, haven’t used it myself.

On the recipe, seems like going with something like the Arrogant Bastard clone, using a dark candi syrup for color and flavor and Chinooks as the dominant hop, might work well.

Good thing that I love Chinook… Have any links to a good arrogant bastard clone?

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=98872

Found this… Might base it off this! http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/Beer_Log2005.htm

Here is what I did. Candi syrup 180 in place of steeping grains. Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
3.15 lbs 31.50 % Briess White Sorghum LME 60 mins 1.037
6.00 lbs 60.00 % Briess White Sorghum LME 15 mins 1.037
0.60 lbs 6.00 % Candi Sugar, Dark 5 mins 1.032
0.25 lbs 2.50 % Malto Dextrine 5 mins 1.043

Hops
Amount IBU’s Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 42.37 Chinook 75 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs 37.22 Chinook 45 mins 13.00
2.00 ozs 3.50 Chinook 1 mins 13.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 tsp Irish Moss 15 mins Boil

Mash Profile
(none)

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
2.93 oz Corn Sugar - Bottle Carbonation 72.0°F 1.90

Looks like a drinkable beer! Let us know how it turns out. :cheers:

I will. I really love chinook, so this is up my alley. I added 2 oz chinook at the end of the boil to boost aromatics. Any thoughts on dry hopping? I thought maybe just an oz to jazz it up before bottle?

It would be even better with two! :wink:

I like the way you think!

I’m also VERY curious as to how this turns out. I’ve got a neighbor that I’d love to share my beer with but has a mild wheat allergy (not too serious but does bring on headaches if he has too much). If it’s flavorful and quite drinkable, please do let us know!

I will let you know. From what I read and talking to others the biggest challenges are body/head retention. I have also read it can have a slightly metallic flavor. I have heard late additions help. Shadetree’s idea of dark candi syrup will mask some of this. I have heard it can be a little fruity… I think it will be fun to see what happens…

Any follow-up on how this came out? I am about to brew my first sorghum based gluten free beer for a friend.