Gluten Free gone bad

Brewers,
Brewed this recipe for 2 years never a problem. Last one has a vinegar taste, not pleasant.
7 Lbs. rice syrup solids
1 Lb. brown sugar
! Lb. malto dextrin
North brewer saaz hops.
90 min boil
1062 start gravity
70-72 degree ferment 10 days 2 weeks.
5 oz prime, bottle condition
Any thoughts/ideas ?
Thanks Keith

Did you have any fruit fly’s

Let it age and see. If it continues to turn more like vinegar you have an acetobacter infection.

Nothing to add to what the other folks have suggested, but if your goal is to make a gluten free beer, have you tried clarity ferm? One of the guys in my beer club is sensitive to gluten and has used this successfully on standard beers.

porkchop “Nothing to add to what the other folks have suggested, but if your goal is to make a gluten free beer, have you tried clarity ferm? One of the guys in my beer club is sensitive to gluten and has used this successfully on standard beers.”

Keep in mind that clarity ferm does reduce gluten to the level that the FDA considers gluten free, but there is still some and while not a lot can still be a problem to some extremely gluten sensitive people.

Thanks for input.
First bad batch
Full batch is bad.
17 year full grain brewer never had a bad batch.
Fastidious cleanse all tool and bottles.
Rice solid s fresh.
Dry yeast Safale never had issue.
Ferment temp too high over a period.
2 oil burners in basement . Needed spot for MY ale.
I feel bad as HE got sick.
Dumping it tomorrow. (SIGH)
Thanks Keith

Yep, absolutely correct. It doesn’t eliminate them, but it may reduce them to the point where they don’t cause any problems. But it’s something you would have to try for yourself. My point (and I probably didn’t make it well enough) is that if it does work for you, it certainly opens up a whole lotta beer styles that you can make with reduced gluten.

rookie_l_a:
“Keep in mind that clarity ferm does reduce gluten to the level that the FDA considers gluten free, but there is still some and while not a lot can still be a problem to some extremely gluten sensitive people.”

porkchop
“Yep, absolutely correct. It doesn’t eliminate them, but it may reduce them to the point where they don’t cause any problems. But it’s something you would have to try for yourself. My point (and I probably didn’t make it well enough) is that if it does work for you, it certainly opens up a whole lotta beer styles that you can make with reduced gluten.”

It also changes the beer itself, possibly necessitating a recipe adjustment. I have an article scheduled to be published in Zymurgy later in the year about gluten free brewing that delves into this aspect of it.

Gentlemen:
Although I respect the reply’s your conversation of clarity firm had no relevant response to my question. I have used it in the past for this person with great result. He is very gluten intolerant.
I gave recipe.
FOCUS.
Temperature was problem.
Not fruit fly’s.
Thanks all for response.
Hate to be this guy, but answer the question don’t take topic where you think is relevant.
It was not.
Keith

Keith, you’ll have to forgive these guys. They are some of the most selfless people on the planet, giving free advice to anyone who asks. And sometimes, when they can’t give you an exact answer to your question (such as why you have the vinegar taste-since that is not usually a result of a hight-temp fermentation) they go above and beyond to try and give other suggestions that could be helpful. It’s really annoying, but it’s something that we less accomplished brewers have learned to live with here on the forum :wink:

Cheers,

Ron

1. acetic acid is produced by acetobacter, brettanomyces, or some strains of lactobacillus when exposed to high amounts of oxygen. Unless you are trying to make a beer with these in them, you’ve introduced a contaminant in your process, and are exposing your beer to too much oxygen.

2. High fermentation temperatures can lead to intermediate metabolites, such as increases esters, acetaldehyde, and fusel alcohols. Fusels can have a solvent flavor and lead to headaches, but don’t taste like acetic acid.

3. If your beer made someone sick, I would question your process prior to the start of fermentation, as the only microbes that can lead to toxins in the wort only grow prior to low pH or increased alcohol. Some of these, such as enterobacter, can produce acetic acid. Some of these, such as clostridium botulinum, are truly deadly.

4. That’s a less than awesome way to get people to help you, who at the end of the day, are just trying to help you with free advice.

Have a nice day. Or don’t. Either way I’m done here.

2 Likes

Thank You for that answer. I’m going to have to look at my proceedure.
First time I have had a problem. No one got sick.
I was not trying to upset anyone.
I have gotten great ideas from this forum.Thanks agaion .
Respectfully
Keith