Yesterday I brewed my first gluten free beer, for a friend, and I did a partial mash. Here is the recipe, and then some notes and pictures. I minimized the sorghum percentage to hopefully avoid twang and not have an overly sweet beer, and of course in the search for QUALITY. The jury is still out as to what comes of it, since my mash efficiency appears to have suffered. Next time I will probably just do extract with rice syrup, sorghum syrup, Belgian candi sugar and hops, like Deschutes’ GF Pale Ale, to save hassle and fears on efficient conversion. I’ve never even tasted a gluten free beer! Any thoughts?
Salish Sea Tropical Ale
Recipe: Salish Sea Tropical Ale
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.50
Anticipated OG: 1.066 Plato: 16.11
Anticipated SRM: 15.8
Anticipated IBU: 28.9
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Actual OG: 1.064 Plato: 15.67
Actual Mash System Efficiency: 58 %
34.8 4.00 lbs. Rice Syrup Generic 1.040 0
17.4 2.00 lbs. Oats, Malted Great Britain 1.035 1
13.0 1.50 lbs. Mighty Tasty Cereal America 1.030 2
8.7 1.00 lbs. Belgian Dark Candi Syrup D2 Belgium 1.032 160
8.7 1.00 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1
8.7 1.00 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
8.7 1.00 lbs. Sorghum Syrup 45DE America 1.035 3
0.70 oz. Amarillo Pellet 6.27 6.4 First WH
0.70 oz. Amarillo Pellet 6.27 6.1 17 min.
0.50 oz. Citra Whole 13.70 4.3 5 min.
0.50 oz. Rakau Pellet 11.20 3.9 5 min.
0.50 oz. Citra Whole 13.70 4.3 2 min.
0.50 oz. Rakau Pellet 11.20 3.9 2 min.
1.00 Unit(s)Whirfloc Fining 5 Min.(boil)
0.50 Tsp Wyeast Yeast Nutrient Other 10 Min.(boil)
Fermentis US-05 American Ale
Mash Type: Single Step
Heat Type: Direct
Grain Lbs: 5.50
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: ~1.80
Saccharification Rest Temp: 149 Time: 100M
Total mash volume: ~3.25 gal
Boiled the cereal in 2 gal water for 25 min. to gelatinize. Added 1.5 gal
water and heated/stirred to 154 and added milled oat malt, corn and flaked
oats plus 2.5 tsp of amylase powder. stirred on stove top keeping it 147 -
151, more on the low end, for 70 min. Because it was very cloudy, I added
another tsp amylase 1/2 way thru. Poured thru zapap, scraping bottom with
spatula, and then rinsed with 1.75 gal 170F water. Still very cloudy and
not very sweet, although iodine test showed it was converted. Still, I add
ed the remaining 2 tsp of amylase from container and stirred at ~150F for a
nother 25 minutes, after having added FWH addition of amarillo. Checked io
dine test again (ok), and still didn’t taste very sweet, but went ahead and added
the sorghum syrup and all rice syrup and topped up to 5-gallon boil. Tota
l amylase used ~2.5 Tbl!
Chilled with Immersion Chiller down to about 74F, and strained thru strainer into fermenter bucket.
Added 1 gal water to hit 5.25 gal wort at 1.064 OG. Very viscous wort.
Used just 1 packet US-05 after aerating with o2 for 1.5 minutes, stirre
d in after 10 minutes.
Pitched around 70F and put in wine room @ ~67F. Airlock activity after 11 hours.
With calculated 58% efficiency of mash, I’m expecting a starchy beer.
I should have measured with narrow range hydrometer for accuracy of OG.
D2 added at 10 minutes.
Primary Fermentation: 14 days @ 66 degree
s ramped to 68F last 4 days.
Ingredients minus flaked oats and hops (I omitted the malto dextrin on the right since I don’t think I’ll need it)
Cereal boil to gelatinize
Zapap insert (thanks Charlie P!)
Spent grains after sparge/hot water rinse