Glass carboy V.S. Plasitc Fermenting Bucket

Was just getting ready to brew another batch and realized that I do not have a stopper for my last carboy. I do, however, have a new plastic fermenting bucket and I dont need a stopper since the lid has the grommet for the air lock. Is there any adverse reactions to using a plastic fermenting bucket versus a carboy?

Nope. nothing wrong with fermenting in buckets. a lot of people primary in plastic buckets

it is called a fermenting bucket after all :lol:

You’ll find many threads on this forum about carboy versus bucket - you’ll find that there are advocates for both with great reasons for picking one or the other. I’ve used both and would pick a bucket over a carboy if given a choice.

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]Nope. nothing wrong with fermenting in buckets. a lot of people primary in plastic buckets

it is called a fermenting bucket after all :lol: [/quote]

Yah I felt dumb asking the question, I have a friend who got me in to brewing and he just told me to avoid using it. Alright, so I will go brew now!! I managed to get another fridge so that I can lager this Czech Pilsner. I can keep this fridge at a constant 54 degrees so it should work for this lager.

One more question, I dont see how the bucket lid creates a seal with the bucket without some sort of rubber seal. Is that how its designed or am I missing a seal for the lid?

shadetree: out of interest… why? :slight_smile:

buckets are easier to harvest the yeast, easier to clean, less dangerous, and lighter weight

Just personal preference

I would agree with this and add that they do not need to be covered to keep light out as another advantage. I’ve used both extensively and would lean towards buckets as I feel the pro’s outweigh any con’s, although I do use both depending on what I have available at the time, the buckets just seem to be a lot easier to deal with.

[quote=“EagleRising”]

One more question, I dont see how the bucket lid creates a seal with the bucket without some sort of rubber seal. Is that how its designed or am I missing a seal for the lid?[/quote]

The lid fits/snaps on really tightly. So tight that they sell lever openers to get the lids back off.

The one time I primaried in a bucket I was afraid that I would not be able to get the lid off, so I left the lid just sitting on top of the bucket. That worked fine for a week until I racked it off to secondary. I wouldn’t do it long-term, past the primary phase when the yeast is active and throwing off enough CO2 to keep the beer blanketed.

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]buckets are easier to harvest the yeast, easier to clean, less dangerous, and lighter weight[/quote]All this plus they are stackable and cheaper.

I have glass and plastic and will always use the glass first if it’s available. The only reason is the lid is such a PITA to get off. I need to look into a lid opener I guess-- Right now I use a piece of wood slightly larger then the gap between the bucket and the lid.

+1. I only use glass, and my carboys take up a lot of room.

FWIW, if i had a time machine, i would go with buckets

Yah space isnt really an issue. I live in Northern NY and have a 4 ft crawl space thats stays around 60* all year. Plus im a visual guy I like to see the fruits of my labor lol. I really only asked the question cause i didnt have a stopper for my last carboy and had the new bucket that came with my kit.

Which reminds me of another question, my last carboy is a 6.5 acid carboy. what exactly is the difference between this one and a standard “non acid” carboy?

[quote=“EagleRising”]Yah space isnt really an issue. I live in Northern NY and have a 4 ft crawl space thats stays around 60* all year. Plus im a visual guy I like to see the fruits of my labor lol. I really only asked the question cause i didnt have a stopper for my last carboy and had the new bucket that came with my kit.

Which reminds me of another question, my last carboy is a 6.5 acid carboy. what exactly is the difference between this one and a standard “non acid” carboy?[/quote]

it got the name because they are also used in chem labs. I think it’s just what they call 6.5 gallon carboys with the threaded tops

[quote=“S.Scoggin”][quote=“EagleRising”]Yah space isnt really an issue. I live in Northern NY and have a 4 ft crawl space thats stays around 60* all year. Plus im a visual guy I like to see the fruits of my labor lol. I really only asked the question cause i didnt have a stopper for my last carboy and had the new bucket that came with my kit.

Which reminds me of another question, my last carboy is a 6.5 acid carboy. what exactly is the difference between this one and a standard “non acid” carboy?[/quote]

it got the name because they are also used in chem labs. I think it’s just what they call 6.5 gallon carboys with the threaded tops[/quote]

aah ok, lol I was curious of whether or not to use it. I wish they made clear ferementing buckets. You wouldnt have to buy bungs. I did use my bucket since I started this thread and i like it for the most part. I like the fact the S shape air lock fits really tight and doesnt slide up and down as easy as it does in the carboy bungs.

And don’t forget about the Better Bottle!

[quote=“EagleRising”]Plus im a visual guy I like to see the fruits of my labor lol. /quote]

This wears out over time. I used to love watching my fermentations for my first 10 batches or so. Now I use buckets 90% of the time. I pour my wort in, aerate, pitch yeast and into the closet it goes. I don’t even touch it again for 2-3 weeks.

Can you use thermometer strips on a bucket?

What kind of access does it have? I have a crawl space but even if I laid a carboy on its side I doubt it would fit through the entryway. Kind of a bummer. The other day I had the crazy idea that I could cut a trap door in my beer room for moving carboys in and out :wink: .

When I first moved to Finland, I was worried because I couldn’t buy carboys here. But after just using buckets, I’ve found I wouldn’t go back - for all the reasons S.Scoggin listed. Plus I can’t get carboys here.

My only problem with fermenting in buckets is starting a siphon. Unless I get an auto-siphon, I’m not doing the “old school” way. That way suuuuuuucks.
So I like fermenting in carboys and using the orange caps with the blow tube thing.