Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Glass Carboy Exterior Defect

Hello all, I am new to the hobby and received my deluxe kit a little more than a week ago and brewed the CS kit the same day. I was checking the temperature on the carboy yesterday when I noticed the annomally shown in the pictures. When I first noticed it it was smooth all over, but had the raised ridges, as soon as I pushed on it with my finger nail the ridge cracked. I thought I would ask here and see if there’s a consensus on whether it is something to worry about or not before I contact NB about it. My thought is that it is in fact a surface defect and not something that goes all the way through. I appreciate any input you may have and thank you.

If it is raised…and you can feel it…then it is a molding defect. It is actually quite common from what I hear. If it were a true crack you would not be able to feel it. What do you have brewing?
:cheers:

That is Caribou Slobber that has been in the primary for 11 days. Up next is Bourbon Barrel Porter that I will add Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Beans to in secondary.

Be careful with that. You don’t want it to break when you’re around. Maybe consider another option! I fermentd in carboys for years, but recently switched to kegs. No more worries.

Send the pictures to NB. That is a weak point. The carboy will be dangerous to handle when it is filled.

You should search the words broken carboy or stitches.

Not pretty.

I’d contact NB. Definitely a defect. I’m sure they’ll replace it for you.

Thank you all for your responses and advice. Through this relatively minor issue I have learned that the Northern Brewer customer service is second to none, as a business owner and diligent consumer it is nice to see others “taking care of business” . I am confident in saying that Northern Brewerwill be receiving plenty of my money in the future if for no other reason than how this was handled, quickly and satisfactorily! :blah:
HAPPY BREWING!!! :cheers:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com