Getting licenses to sell beer in restaurant?

Dear all

I am a homebrewer of 12 years, live in Minnesota, and have friends who own a restaurant who want to brew beer on the premises and put the beer on tap

What do they need to do?

Licenses?

Equipment?

Who can be the Brewer? Can a home brewer brew professionally ? Ie could I brew the beer?

Thanks

Hire a liquor lawyer - they’ll need a federal license and a state license plus local health department too most likely, lots of hoops to jump through. And yes, they can hire anyone they want to be the brewer, but you might try to convince them to send you to a Siebel course (or similar) if you’re jumping from homebrew to pro.

Jamil Z has a whole set of pod casts on the brewing network about going pro. There is even one that covers all the necessary paper work.

[quote=“Finster”]Dear all

I am a homebrewer of 12 years, live in Minnesota, and have friends who own a restaurant who want to brew beer on the premises and put the beer on tap

What do they need to do?

Licenses?

Equipment?

Who can be the Brewer? Can a home brewer brew professionally ? Ie could I brew the beer?

Thanks[/quote]

You need to become a commercial brewery or your friend’s restaurant needs to become a brewpub. You can be the brewer once that happens. The posts above contain suggestions for more info to apply for federal and state licensing.