Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Getting all the extract out

What is the best method to get as much of the extract out of the jug as possible?

What I had been doing was adding hot water after i got as much out as would come naturally, then shaking it up and adding it to the wort. Then I realized this was adding a lot of oxygen to the process. Do i have to worry about oxidation if I do that?

Is there a better choice? Or should I just let that little extra malt go?

I think that method is fine. I wouldn’t worry about the little bit of oxygen that would get dissolved. It should quickly get driven back out by the boil.

Get what you can initially,
then put lid back on and let sit upside down for most of duration of boil,
add what you can at the end.

Then yea, let that little bit go. :slight_smile:

That’s a great idea pinnah, hadn’t thought about that.

you can also heat the jugs in pot with hot water…not boiling. makes the extract very thin and most of it will pour nicely into your boil pot. Follow with your hot wort and you’ll get 99.9% out of those plastic jugs.

cheers

+1 preheating the container in water in advance.
Who used to scoop wort out with a Pyrex cup to put into the jug, before he realized, dummy, just run it out the ball valve?
This guy. :mrgreen:

take some kitchen scissors, cut the jug in two and use your brew spoon to scrape the corners; it’s worked for me.

I take my plastic jug or can depending on which was provided and dip it into the boiling wert. With the plastic jug, I fill it about 1/4 full, being very careful not to burn myself. Put the lid back on and shake the container.

Don’t worry about adding oxygen, it boils out anyway and it is a good thing to add more oxygen before you pitch your yeast. You really don’t have to worry about the oxygen until after the wert has become beer, around bottling time. Good Luck with your brew.

Never argue with a fool in a crowd because after about five minutes it is hard for the crowd to remember who the original fool was.

What i ended up doing was a combination of things. I put a pot of water on and heated it with the extract bottle inside, then after pouring out the extract, i put the cap back on and put it upside down in the hot water for about 5 minutes… this seemed to work well, but i had to do it twice.

[quote=“Scott Miller”]
Who used to scoop wort out with a Pyrex cup to put into the jug, before he realized, dummy, just run it out the ball valve?
This guy. :mrgreen: [/quote]

Doh! :smacksselfinthehead:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com