Gennesee 12 Horse Ale

I had been hearing that Gennesee was reintroducing their 12 Horse Ale and was happy bout the news. I purchased sixpack today and man oh man…was I disappointed!

12 Horse , once upon a time, had a decent hop bitterness as well as a very pleasant hop aroma. Unfortunately, the stuff sold under that label currently just tastes like a sweet, cheap, corn adjunct lager or a bad malt liquor.
No wonder it was priced at 3.99/sixer.

Just as the current version of Ballantine XXX Ale bears no resemblance whatsoever to the assertively hoppy version of 40 years ago, this version of 12 Horse is pretty lame.

It’ll probably be fine for cooking hot dogs or chile…but other than that, pass it by. Don’t even bother.

it was priced at 3.99/sixer.

And you’re surprised it wasn’t very good? :shock:

[quote=“Rookie L A”]it was priced at 3.99/sixer.

And you’re surprised it wasn’t very good? :shock: [/quote]

LOL. You got me there. :shock:

But actually, yes, a little bit surprised. The bock they released earlier in the year was quite decent…tasting like it did when I first had it 40+ years ago. And that one also sold for 3.99/sixer.

:cheers:

Thanks. At least now the rest of us know to spend our 4 bucks on something else.
:cheers:

[quote=“Rookie L A”]Thanks. At least now the rest of us know to spend our 4 bucks on something else.
:cheers: [/quote]

I guess I took one for the team…
8)