Generic PBW

I’ve stumbled across a HBS that is selling PBW with it’s name on the packaging. It’s only $5 something a pound. Other shops have PBW anywhere from $8-11.
Has anyone out there run across this and is it as good as the name brand?

It’s probably just a percarbonate based cleaner somehthing like Oxiclean. I use Oxiclean about 90% of the time and occasionally hit the critical stuff (like fermenters) with PBW. Generic percarbonate cleaners are really pretty good and I consider them to be an acceptable substitute for real PBW.

The web site (Brewbrothers.biz) definately calls it powdered brewery wash and the description is the same as for the brand name.
I agree about the generic percarbonate cleaner, I get a pound for $1 at the Dollartree.

+1 to Rookie L A

I bought some PBW from a bulk buy at $4 a lb. Maybe they just got a lot?

I’m betting they mix theirs to include TSP or a TSP substitute.

I’m betting they mix theirs to include TSP or a TSP substitute.[/quote]

Why would you think that? Any evidence? And I’ve heard people mention doing that themselves, but I’ve never seen any evidence that’s what PBW does.

I was thinking that. Maybe a bulk buy of a couple hundred pounds gets the cost low enough to repackage and make profit at $5 something a pound.

The web site (Brewbrothers.biz) definately calls it powdered brewery wash and the description is the same as for the brand name.
I agree about the generic percarbonate cleaner, I get a pound for $1 at the Dollartree.[/quote]

I went to get some today, but the batch they have in now has perfume crystals mixed in so I’ll look elsewhere. The last time I bought some non-Dollartree I found some at a little over $2 a pound, if I could only remember where the heck I found it.