Gelitain?

I moved a 5 gallon bucket of NBCSlobber to secondary fermentation, I read a post that stated add gelatin and put beer in fridge. I have two questions

1). Can I just add Gelatin, if I don’t have a fridge big enough to hold a five gallon bucket. Plus my wife would have an aneurysm if she opened the fridge and saw I taken out the food and inserted a 5 gallon bucket of beer

1. How exactly do I prepare the gelitan before adding to wort? Add hot water and stir? Or Just add with no water. etc etc

The first thing to consider is how to get your wife interested in a new fridge. Then you can move the current one to the basement or garage for brewing use, which is any fridge’s true calling.

To answer you questions, though,

1. yes

2. yes, dissolve in hot water.

The cold and gelatin promote clearing. Beer will clear just fine without either, but it will take longer.

Putting the gelatin in the bucket as directed will help eliminate the sediment in your bottled beer. it may also take longer to carbonate since you are removing most of the residual yeast needed to carbonate.

[quote=“charlesrosborough”]I moved a 5 gallon bucket of NBCSlobber to secondary fermentation, I read a post that stated add gelatin and put beer in fridge. I have two questions

1). Can I just add Gelatin, if I don’t have a fridge big enough to hold a five gallon bucket. Plus my wife would have an aneurysm if she opened the fridge and saw I taken out the food and inserted a 5 gallon bucket of beer

1. How exactly do I prepare the gelitan before adding to wort? Add hot water and stir? Or Just add with no water. etc etc[/quote]
  1. Gelatin works best at colder temps. I’m sure it’ll pull some sediment out a room temperature, but it won’t help with chill haze at that temp.
  2. Soak the gelatin in “cool” water for 20 minutes in a glass or jar. I just test the temp with my hand. Not exact, but works for me. Then, swirl and nuke the gelatin for a minute until the solution is very clear. This usually takes 45-50 seconds for me.

Add it to the bucket and swirl.