Gelatin thickened up in fermenter

I heated 1/2 cup of water up to 150 degrees add 1/2 tbs of gelatin and mixed it. I cooled that down to 40 degrees and added it to the fermentor. I have the fermentor in the fridge at 36 degrees. I now have a thin layer of gelatin/unflavored jello on top of my Kolsch??

Is this normal?

I have had good results in the past by allowing the gelatin to soak in cold water for one hour, boil, and then add to beer when I transfer it to a secondary vessel/keg.

Hmm, I read you’re not supposed to bring it to a boil.

Anyway, the way I did it was add the gelatin to the water, let it sit for about an hour, then heated it in like 30 second increments in the microwave until it was about 150 or 160. Then dumped it right in. I didn’t cool it at all. I read a bit on the process online and someone said it wasn’t necessary to cool it as it will dissipate the heat very rapidly once it hits 5+ gallons of cold beer. I don’t recall having a layer of gelatin on top of my beer.

This is the process I use when I keg. It clears the beer well but I only use it on the lighter colored beers. Never had a problem.

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/ho ... latin.html

Paul

[quote=“Templar”]Hmm, I read you’re not supposed to bring it to a boil.

Anyway, the way I did it was add the gelatin to the water, let it sit for about an hour, then heated it in like 30 second increments in the microwave until it was about 150 or 160. Then dumped it right in. I didn’t cool it at all. I read a bit on the process online and someone said it wasn’t necessary to cool it as it will dissipate the heat very rapidly once it hits 5+ gallons of cold beer. I don’t recall having a layer of gelatin on top of my beer.[/quote]

I think I let it cool too long. Next time I will just add it without cooling like you said. :cheers:

I’m happy with taste and clarity. [attachment=0]IMG_2387.jpg[/attachment]

Great job! Doesn’t get any better than that.

I’ve never considered myself a ‘purist’ about much of anything but I have to say that shit(gelatin) is nasty and I don’t get why anyone would put it in their beer. Good process will give you clear beer without adding boiled pigs/cows/horses hooves.

edit: and thanks to the puritans for editing my post. what is this now a sunday school forum?

Yeah good process will result in clear beer, with enough time. but if you don’t want to wait for example on a double ipa with 2 stages of dry hops with 1 in the keg then it works great. You don’t like jello or puddings or a lot of other food that use gelatin? Its flavorless. Ever eat a hotdog? It’s got worse things the hooves.

Yeah good process will result in clear beer, with enough time. but if you don’t want to wait for example on a double ipa with 2 stages of dry hops with 1 in the keg then it works great. You don’t like jello or puddings or a lot of other food that use gelatin? Its flavorless. Ever eat a hotdog? It’s got worse things the hooves.[/quote]

Nope don’t eat store bought jello, pudding, etc. and probably had my last hot dog about 20 years ago. The only sausages I’ve eaten since are made by a local farmer who processes all his own meat products.

Having said that I’m not a fussy handle bar mustache wearin’ vegan gluten free hipster (not that there’s anything wrong with that, some of the coolest people I know are…like my oldest son) but I just can’t stomach the idea of putting that stuff in my beer and the sight of an oil slick of it floating on the surface…blech! :shock:

Hmm…

It settles out. You’re not drinking it. At least most of it anyway. That’s how I understood the process to work.