Gelatin question

I used about a teaspoon of gelatin for 3 gallons of cider that has been fermenting for almost a month. I put it in a half cup of water and brought it to a quick boil in the microwave. Added it and swirled it around the carboy a little bit. The majority of it is really clumpy and all floating on top. There are bubbles forming on it from the co2 being released. Will this all settle out eventually or do i really need to stir it. I dont want to incorporate any more air because their is alot of head space but I will if i have too.

It’s probably because you used a microwave. You are making something from scratch. Don’t cut corners by nuking your ingredients. More seriously, I have no idea. I have never used gelatin.

You must not have dissolved the gelatin very well. It needs to be really well dissolved. Also I wouldn’t boil the gelatin itself. Boil some water and then add the gelatin to the hot water and stir for a LONG time until completely dissolved, then add that to your batch. Gelatin is awesome stuff, but you need to follow these few simple steps for it to work.

As for the clumps in your current batch, I wouldn’t be too concerned about them. You can rack the cider and try to keep the bigger chunks out if you like.

Hmm ya it probably was not dissolved all the way. Once it was boiled I got it right over to my carboy, did not check it. I am sure it is fine as some of it is falling to the bottom. Thanks for the info and I will make sure its dissolved next time. I had trouble finding clear and cut directions on the gelatin use especially on how much to use.

Below is the way I do it, and it works great.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=64190&highlight=gelatin

Sounds like a great idea. I am going to try that today with my other batch. Is it necessary to stir it in? I have quite a bit of head space in the carboy so it makes me nervous

Yes you should stir it in. You don’t have to stir vigorously to introduce oxygen, just so you get it mixed in.