Gelatin question?

Hello I am sorry if I asked this already. But I brew 3gal batch’s an I want to use gelatin to help clear my 3gallon’s of beer but I don’t know the amounts of gelatin to water to use for 3 gallon batch size?

1/2 tsp. gelatin in about 1/2 cup water should work just fine.

The gelatin only works if you cold crash from my understanding. Since my family never lets me displace their food in the fridge I’ve never used it.
If I feel I need a clear beer yeast selection is the easiest way to get clear beer IMO

1 Like

I’ve only used gelatin for ciders, but I never needed to cold crash with it. It might take longer, but it still works.

Gelatin…blecchh…good process will produce clear beer without animal by-products.

Not a big believer in using Gelatin.
Cold conditioning and not moving your keg is the best option.

I agree. I’ve never needed to use it for beer. Beer will almost always clear on its own, even without cold crashing.

New brewers won’t have the ability to cold condition their beer, but I rarely think it is necessary for clear beer. Time and patience will clear most beers.

If you have vegan friends you really should tell them if you used gelatin on the beer.

I’m of the camp as many of you; correct, sound process goes much further in clearing.

1 Like

If you’re worried about animal byproducts - Biofine for the win (and Irish Moss or Whirlfloc in the kettle).

1 Like