Gelatin Finings

Can anyone tell me the amount of gelatin finings to add to 5 gallons of beer. I am getting conflicting reports.

I use 1/2tsp to 1 cup water.

I use an entire packet - this is probably overkill, but I don’t like keeping open packages around (too messy).

Same here.
I just try to keep it simple since it’s not really critical and 1 packet of Knox gelatine (from the supermarket) does the trick. I add it to at least 8oz of boiling water (but do not hesitate to use more water if I elect to top the brew up to a specific volume).

By the way…despite what you may read on the interwebs or elsewhere, my experience indicates that you needn’t worry at all about letting the gelatin boil…it won’t affect it’s performance one bit (the gelatine is actually made by boiling in the first place).

Gelatin works great and remarkably fast. If however you’re not is a rush (unlike most homebrewers) time and cold will accomplish the same thing as the gelatin.

I bought it in bulk and store it in a container. Easy and no mess.

I use a half packet in about 3-4 oz of water. I add it to lukewarm water, stir it until it dissolves, then pop it in the microwave for about a minute.