Gave it a😅 try

so after reading how flars collect the yeast .me just transfer a death ringer ale to the second .i did try to haverst the kveik yeast did fill up four mason jars with the slurry now wait to settle and trow some liqued away see how much i do collect on the end

1 Like

Usually, you’d leave a cap of beer on top of the yeast as it will help to protect it from infection… and keep it refrigerated, I like to use plastic wrap and a rubber band ago help cover it too! Sneezles61

1 Like

did trow some out the top part the light stuff and stick in the fridge see what happens

I haven’t saved yeast after fermenting beer in quite some time, instead, I like to grow from the original yeast and save. I like to have an inch of a beer cap… How I do… Sneezles61

Right, I wouldn’t pour off anything, just leave the jars full. When you go to reuse the yeast, pour off the top layer of beer before pitching the yeast.

2 Likes

first try i like to use fresh yeast make a starter .once fermenting done transfer and left over trub in the toilet but this time just try to collect yeast. but question how do you know the haversted yeast still has enough yeast cells to reuse it next time do i have to take a reading to make sure?

@flars has a handy online calculator he uses, I don’t have the link handy. I just dump in a pint jar of yeast slurry and call it good enough. It’s more than enough yeast for your typical batch, and especially with using pure oxygen for aerating the wort, you’re not at much risk of under pitching.

Just think of the tiny amount of yeast in a white labs vial, and lots of people make good beer with just pitching that amount in their beer! Not best practice, but hey, if it works for you…

There are two calculators that come in handy for calculating the amount of yeast you have harvested and the volume of slurry to use for the next beer. Mrmalty for estimating the number of yeast cells in your slurry by how much non yeast material is present.
http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast-tools.php
The Mrmalty calculator drops yeast viability with age as a linear function. Brew United calculator is more realistic about the viability of stored yeast.