Galaxy Hops

Have been posting all over the place on different threads on this recipe, but I pulled another sample last night and am really digging it. Maybe its the Galaxy hops themselves, or maybe its the combo with Simcoe, but its a totally original/unique flavor. Crazy and weird fruity hop aromas…I know some say passion fruit, but never having smelled passion fruit, I can’t weigh in on that. Tropical is the best way I can describe it, but it is very prominent. I also have to say that either it accentuated diacetyl at first, or the BRY-97 yeast kicked off more than S-05, as I usually have a very high threshold for it. Seems to have subsided now and gave way to melon, pineapple, some citrus, and just a really bright and unique aroma.

Anyone else used them?

no but had them in abundance in the Stone Enjoy By IPA recently, and I love them. so tempted to buy some but with so many #s of hops in my freezer, its hard to justify.

my experience with them was similar to yours.

I’ve got my pound in the freezer, just waiting for a spare moment to brew an IPA. Sounds like the description is ion the money. I used some El Dorado a few months ago and got a somewhat similar result, tropical fruit and tangerine that accentuated the sweetness of the beer.

The weirdest thing is, an APA I like (and bought regularly) in Baltimore called Duckpin, by Union Brewing Company is all Galaxy, and it wasn’t nearly this prominent. Maybe they just keep the late additions lower than I did.

[quote=“blatz”]no but had them in abundance in the Stone Enjoy By IPA recently, and I love them. so tempted to buy some but with so many #s of hops in my freezer, its hard to justify.

my experience with them was similar to yours.[/quote]

Do it. There’s no regret in adding Galaxy hops to your arsenal. No matter what you already have.

[quote=“Pietro”]Have been posting all over the place on different threads on this recipe, but I pulled another sample last night and am really digging it. Maybe its the Galaxy hops themselves, or maybe its the combo with Simcoe, but its a totally original/unique flavor. Crazy and weird fruity hop aromas…I know some say passion fruit, but never having smelled passion fruit, I can’t weigh in on that. Tropical is the best way I can describe it, but it is very prominent. I also have to say that either it accentuated diacetyl at first, or the BRY-97 yeast kicked off more than S-05, as I usually have a very high threshold for it. Seems to have subsided now and gave way to melon, pineapple, some citrus, and just a really bright and unique aroma.

Anyone else used them?[/quote]

Do you mind sharing the recipe? Ar at least the hop schedule?

[quote=“stompwampa”][quote=“Pietro”]Have been posting all over the place on different threads on this recipe, but I pulled another sample last night and am really digging it. Maybe its the Galaxy hops themselves, or maybe its the combo with Simcoe, but its a totally original/unique flavor. Crazy and weird fruity hop aromas…I know some say passion fruit, but never having smelled passion fruit, I can’t weigh in on that. Tropical is the best way I can describe it, but it is very prominent. I also have to say that either it accentuated diacetyl at first, or the BRY-97 yeast kicked off more than S-05, as I usually have a very high threshold for it. Seems to have subsided now and gave way to melon, pineapple, some citrus, and just a really bright and unique aroma.

Anyone else used them?[/quote]

Do you mind sharing the recipe? Ar at least the hop schedule?[/quote]

indeed:

Size: 5.0 gal @ 68 °F
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 178.31 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.054 (1.000 - 1.100)
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.000 - 1.100)
Color: 9.01 (0.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 5.27% (0.0% - 10.0%)
Bitterness: 38.8 (0.0 - 50.0)