Fusel Alcohol

So I have searched on this topic and why it happens and the reoccurring theme is ferm temps too high.

Well I know that is not the case for me. Never reached over 66.

Here’s the deal…

Extract IPA kit-5 gallon

Added 7 additional oz’s of corn sugar during boil to slightly increase ABV.

Pitched danstar bry 97 (hate it but that’s what recipe called for) at about 62.

Almost 5 days later nothing. Warmed it up a little, maybe 66…nothing. I know it’s a slow starter but that’s too long.

Added safe ale 05, baam, ferm’d like crazy in 24 hours.

OG 1.066, Final 1.013

Taste test as always when read gravity and very rubbing alcohol/band aid tasting. Almost undrinkable.

Transferred to secondary and took another reading a week later, less of the smell and taste, but still there for sure.

So if not the temp issue, I’m not sure the issue. 1st time had this issue and I brew many a batch.

Lack of O2 when pitched 05 maybe? Nitrogen deficiency?

Anyone with experience in this? Will it eventually subside? Can I dry hop the heck out of it to “cover it up”?

Thanks ya’ll

Smitty

If its band-aid/medicinal its likely 4-ethylphenol, which is typically caused by chlorine or chloramine in the brewing water. Is it closer to that or alcohol ‘heat’? If the latter, its fusel.

Unfortunately nothing can be done to remove or even cover up 4-ethylphenol IME. Fusels can be aged out (after months/years), but sounds like you may have a drain pour on your hands.

[quote=“Pietro”]If its band-aid/medicinal its likely 4-ethylphenol, which is typically caused by chlorine or chloramine in the brewing water. Is it closer to that or alcohol ‘heat’? If the latter, its fusel.

Unfortunately nothing can be done to remove or even cover up 4-ethylphenol IME. Fusels can be aged out (after months/years), but sounds like you may have a drain pour on your hands.[/quote]

Was thinking that as well, but all brews are done the same and no issues until now. I do 2 gallons tap, 3 gallons Poland spring water. Don’t ask why the ratio.

Just seems odd why this one. Might have to dress in black if I have to dump it.

Muni water supply systems change the content of the water pretty regularly. Based on the measured content of the supply (which can change based on flood/draught/rainwater content, municipalities will add more/less things to the water, including flouride, chlorine and chloramine.

All it took was one band-aid beer of mine about 4 years ago to get me to treat every batch with Campden. I am still using the same $3.95 bag of Campden tabs btw.

Dress in black and get a friend to play “Taps” on a bugle…but putting a bad beer out of its misery is better than drinking it…

Also, not that this was the cause of your problem, but I would never use BRY-97 (or any of that labs products) again. 97 is Chico/Sierra Nevada, so its the same strain as WLP001/US-05/WY1056…though some say they can behave a little different based on the lab conditions (which turned out to be the case in your situation). Just use one of those next time.