Furious Pro with 1028 London Ale yeast

I had some washed/saved 1028 London Ale yeast that I wanted to reuse for an IPA, so I called the NB MPLS store asking for recommendations. They said this yeast was the recommended one for the Surly Furious kit.

I saw today online that this is NOT the recommended yeast from Northern Brewer nor is it the strain that Surly actually uses.

How interchangeable are these British Yeast strains? I know I’ll be at least a little off since I didn’t use the recommended yeast, but how off will I be? I am still learning about yeast so I’m not sure if this is even a big deal. I just really want this thing to taste amazing!

Thank you for any advice.

This is from NB’s Furious Extract Kit page:

“A note on yeast: Surly uses White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale; with Surly’s blessing, we have included Wyeast 1335 as the default option so customers (especially mail order customers) can more easily evaluate viability before brewing.”

[quote=“leaderbean”]This is from NB’s Furious Extract Kit page:

“A note on yeast: Surly uses White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale; with Surly’s blessing, we have included Wyeast 1335 as the default option so customers (especially mail order customers) can more easily evaluate viability before brewing.”[/quote]

WY1028 is the equivelent of WLP013, not WLP007

Here are the flavor profiles for both WY1028 and WLP007

[quote=“White Labs”]WLP007
Clean, highly flocculent, and highly attenuative yeast. This yeast is similar to WLP002 in flavor profile, but is 10% more attenuative. This eliminates the residual sweetness, and makes the yeast well suited for high gravity ales. It is also reaches terminal gravity quickly. 80% attenuation will be reached even with 10% ABV beers. [/quote]

[quote=“Wyeast”]WY1028
A rich, minerally profile that is bold and crisp with some fruitiness. Often used for higher gravity ales and when a high level of attenuation is desired.
[/quote]
I think that you end up with a slightly higher fg, less fruitiness, and a little more mineral flavor. I am sure it will still turn out really good.

I’ve used both (Wyeast versions) and they’re both clean and relatively attenuative as English strains go. Even side by side, I bet I’d have trouble telling them apart.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it will be a little different than originally intended by Surly/NB, but still good.

1028 will be fine, it is what Great Lakes uses to produce all of their ales. It’s a good attenuator. Did the person at the MPLS store say that it would be an acceptable yeast to use, or did they say that it’s the same as the recommended yeast? Just curious.