Funny how tastes differ

I brewed recently a Blonde Ale. Followed a recipe from start to finish. Everything went as planned all the way thru fermentation and kegging. I hate the taste and feel that something is off. I recently did a brewery tour at Summit Brewing in St Paul MN. They had a Wit beer that tasted identical to my Blonde Ale. Same “off” flavor and all. I didn’t see what the grain bill was but the hops were different than I used. I asked them about the beer and they said that they created it special for one of the local restaurants. Go figure…I am going to dump mine down the drain and they are selling theirs.

I’ve brewed roughly 40 batches over 8 years. There were only 2 that I didn’t care for. The funny thing is, friends and family loved those two batches in particular.

Shame to dump it even if you don’t like it very much. Can you cook with it? Use it for a marinade or for beer can chicken, etc?

Shame to dump it even if you don’t like it very much. Can you cook with it? Use it for a marinade or for beer can chicken, etc?[/quote]

I’m not sure how much of the off flavor you don’t like would carry into the food for a marinade or a deglazing liquid, but its worth a shot. I’ve used ‘bad’ beers for brining meat and they have come out great (one had a band aid chlorophenol, one was acetobacter infected).

Worst-worst case, use it to fertilize.

I would have titled this post “Funny how OBJECTIVES differ”…

Just bottle it and give it away to people who like it

I guess it depends on the “off” flavor. Being the main drinker in my house, I wouldn’t tie up a keg. If it didn’t taste infected, I would bottle.

If it’s identical to a commercial beer perhaps its just a taste you don’t care for. Or they brew lousy beer.

Years ago I brewed a BIG extract BW. It was sweet and syrupy. I couldn’t drink it, but friends loved it and it placed 1st in a local comp.

I did find that it was an excellent marinade for pork.