Frustrating stuck fermentation

[quote=“Nighthawk”][quote=“grainbelt”]

Wow your missing it all…[/quote]

?

You will have to elaborate. Mind reading has never been my strong point.[/quote]

THere is no need

Gotcha, You blindly follow others with out doing experiments to see of other process work for you. Then harass and try to belittle other who don’t follow your train of thought.

:wink:

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Gotcha, You blindly follow others with out doing experiments to see of other process work for you. Then harass and try to belittle other who don’t follow your train of thought.

:wink: [/quote]

yep you know it…keep spreading the word of your good brewing skills

you 2 need a beer

[quote=“grainbelt”][quote=“Nighthawk”]Gotcha, You blindly follow others with out doing experiments to see of other process work for you. Then harass and try to belittle other who don’t follow your train of thought.

:wink: [/quote]

yep you know it…keep spreading the word of your good brewing skills[/quote]

I have to agree with groinbelt. In my pursuit of enjoying homebrewing, I’ve overlooked the life or death decisions our forebrewers had to make.

Let’s not forget that the original purpose of this forum was to treat each question as if a moron posted it.

I raise a pint and hoist a flag up my pole to you, groinbelt.

Ha, well really… to refuse that not pitching healthy yeast is ok is just ridiculous, or pitching one tube for 10g is good practice, underpitching probably one of the main things new brewers skimp on

Ha, well really… to refuse that not pitching healthy yeast is ok is just ridiculous, or pitching one tube for 10g is good practice, underpitching probably one of the main things new brewers skimp on[/quote]

I hear ya and totally agree…pitching enough yeast is paramount along with yeast health…I don’t think its good practice to underpitch…but i’m sure its possible to make good beer if you underpitch as long as you give the wort enough o2 and proper temps and nutrients but im not gonna find out myself cause i try with all my might not to underpitch.

Ha, well really… to refuse that not pitching healthy yeast is ok is just ridiculous, or pitching one tube for 10g is good practice, underpitching probably one of the main things new brewers skimp on[/quote]

I hear ya and totally agree…pitching enough yeast is paramount along with yeast health…I don’t think its good practice to underpitch…but i’m sure its possible to make good beer if you underpitch as long as you give the wort enough o2 and proper temps and nutrients but im not gonna find out myself cause i try with all my might not to underpitch.[/quote]

If someone thinks there beer is great fine do what you want, but there are some things that are just bad practice. And then to claim that I have never done any experiements or anything…huh?

I would love to try the beer that they say is perfectly fine and put it next to one with good pitching rates…hmmm wonder which one would taste better

I have tried many beers that some thought were just awesome and award winning beers and they were diacetyl bombs, fuesel alch bombs, oxidized, etc…discussed issues with them and they bite your head off because you don’t think its great.

Just got done reading Yeast by Chris White and Jamil z. Good read, although a bit too in depth for what I do.

If someone thinks there beer is great fine do what you want, but there are some things that are just bad practice. And then to claim that I have never done any experiements or anything…huh?

I would love to try the beer that they say is perfectly fine and put it next to one with good pitching rates…hmmm wonder which one would taste better

I have tried many beers that some thought were just awesome and award winning beers and they were diacetyl bombs, fuesel alch bombs, oxidized, etc…discussed issues with them and they bite your head off because you don’t think its great.[/quote]

Yup… proper pitching is a brewing fundemental…its one of the 5 basic brewing variables…proper pitching rate,temp control,water selection ,sanitation,wort aeration

[quote=“theo.femur”]I’ll giver it one more week, then bottle it and chalk this up as a ‘lesson learned’[/quote]I wouldn’t bottle a 1.024 beer - you’re risking major bottle bombs. I don’t think you’ve pushed the yeast to performance peak yet - use a small heating pad set on low, or some other source of continuous heat, to get the beer temp up around 75-78F, then rouse the yeast once or twice a day for a week and see if the gravity shifts.

That’s what got me scratching my bald head…I’ve done that for close to 3 weeks now (it’s now been 1.5 weeks since I’ve pitched new yeast), and I’m still not seeing much fermentation action. The NB guys have assured me that the Kolsch yeast does best in low-60s temps, but I’m not seeing it with this batch.

Since this is my first all-grain attempt with the BIAB method, I’ve deduced a couple things to improve on:

stabilize my mashing temp better
focus on my aeration technique
pitch a yeast starter, not just the smack pack
Start the fermentation in a warmer environment before moving it to a cooler environment

As for bottling, I’ll take a reading this weekend to see what has happened since the 2nd pitching, but if it’s still sitting at 1.020+, what would you do? I’d like to get this bottled and move on to other brewing.

[quote=“theo.femur”]That’s what got me scratching my bald head…I’ve done that for close to 3 weeks now (it’s now been 1.5 weeks since I’ve pitched new yeast), and I’m still not seeing much fermentation action. The NB guys have assured me that the Kolsch yeast does best in low-60s temps, but I’m not seeing it with this batch.

Since this is my first all-grain attempt with the BIAB method, I’ve deduced a couple things to improve on:

stabilize my mashing temp better
focus on my aeration technique
pitch a yeast starter, not just the smack pack
Start the fermentation in a warmer environment before moving it to a cooler environment

As for bottling, I’ll take a reading this weekend to see what has happened since the 2nd pitching, but if it’s still sitting at 1.020+, what would you do? I’d like to get this bottled and move on to other brewing.[/quote]

cooler to warmer is better to make sure it finishes

[quote=“theo.femur”]but if it’s still sitting at 1.020+, what would you do? I’d like to get this bottled and move on to other brewing.[/quote]I would let it sit another week, keep it warm, and rouse the yeast twice a day. If the FG remains where it is after that, I would probably dryhop it to try and balance out the higher gravity, then bottle with the assumption that it’s not going to continue fermenting after giving the yeast lots of encouragement with no results.

And +1 to pitching cool and then warming at the end.

Hadn’t thought of dry-hopping…makes total sense.

OK…off to bring the carboy up to a warm environment and to buy some hops for dry hopping. Now, I’m REALLY intrigued to see how this turns out!

couple options if you cant get it down more
just drink it sweet
buy some bugs and sour it.
Brew another batch and ferment it drier and blend it to your liking

Those are all options that I would not have come up with my own…thanks for sharing! :slight_smile: