Freezer controller for heating

Can I use my analog controller to run a heat lamp of some kind in my freezer? I figured that the controller switches power ON when the temp goes above the setpoint and OFF when it drops below. Could I use the controller to turn a heat lamp ON when it drops below the setpoint and OFF when it goes above? I’ve got the Johnsons Controls controller from our host. What do you use to warm fermentation temps?

I don’t believe there is a way to switch an analog controller.

I purchased one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270629998461?ss ... 1438.l2649

The add says it is rated for 10 amps. I had a brain fart wiring it up, so I gave it to a friend to help. (I forgot read the wiring instructions on the net!) He popped the lid on it and the contacts are rated for 15 amps.

So far it has no trouble handling the cycling of a freezer.

So what do you have wired up to it? Can you use both heating and cooling at the same time? This looks like a cheap addition to help with ferm temps.

I bet the lugs are only rated for 10A even though the contacts are 15A.

[quote=“mvsawyer”]So what do you have wired up to it? Can you use both heating and cooling at the same time? This looks like a cheap addition to help with ferm temps.

I bet the lugs are only rated for 10A even though the contacts are 15A.[/quote]

The ebay aquarium temp control is a great little deal…easy to wire and will run both heat and cooling…

Hope it’s OK to link to a thread in another forum…

Read this: ebay aquarium temp controller build

I’ve run it on a pre1970’s era Sears freezer, ~1992 era Kenmore and a 4yr old Sanyo Kegerator. Funny thing is the 1992 freezer has a higher amp draw on it. The start up draw may be more on the older model, but the running draw is less.

All are less than 5 amps.

I recall that it is possible to switch your Johnson ControlS Analog Thermostat to heating mode. It involces opening the case and relocating a wire from one post to another post. Unfortunately I can not locate the instructions at the moment.

I have both the Johnson digital and the ebay aquarium controller, I like the ebay one a little better because of the auto cycling between heating and cooling. Plus the ebay controller once assembled was about half the price as the Johnson.

As greg said regarding the Johnson analog, I seem to remember someone on here mentioning they switch the wires around somehow to put it in heat mode.

Thanks guys, I’ll see what I can find to rewire it.

Cheers