Freaking leaks

I know there’s a learning curve here, and I kind of blame myself, but these co2 leaks are really starting to piss me off. My first keg went great! Second, my bad. I hooked it up, then shifted stuff around, the MFL connection came loose, empty tank. I had a second ready, no big… tightened, hooked up, bubble test, and we’re good. Hooked up the third, and my second tank is empty. Ugh… 2 tank replacements coming up. This could be a pricey hobby, if I keep making a habit of venting co2 into my basement.

I have gotten lucky i guess.

Yeah seems something is amiss. Make sure you go through and tighten everything. Then check them again. You said you have MFL connections, so make sure you have the vinyl washer between any 2 metal pieces.

You’ll run into these kind of things. Wait until you don’t put your liquid out on correctly and you find 5gals of beer in your kegerator AND an empty CO2 tank!

3 Likes

5 lb tanks? Sorry to hear that. I didn’t use nylon washers or whatever material they are for a couple months and was okay. I use a 10 lb reconditioned tank from aih and NBrewer co2po regulator. I recently put those plastic or nylon pieces in and haven’t noticed any difference. I’ve had 5 or 6 kegs plus purging plus pushing cleaner etc thru. Was everything new when you hooked it up? Maybe something is bad in the regulator or the tank itself. I know sometimes my blow off valve sticks when I’m adjusting psi…

Also, I find it helps to use keg lube with all O-rings, posts, keg lid, and even the flat washer betwixt the tank and regulator setup. Do run your fingers around the keg where the lid seals. I found one that had a small ding in it, wouldn’t hang on to gas. I haven’t taken the time to manipulate it with a ball peen hammer … yet. Sneezles61

Definitely make sure you lube it up.

1 Like

We’re still talking about the keg, right? :flushed:

1 Like

If you can’t find Keg Lube, go to a restaurant supply or online and get food grade grease like Petrol Gel. It’s the same stuff I use on our meat slicer and my LHBS sells it.

The best method to test is still a spray bottle with dish soap and water. Spray it all around then jiggle every connection. If you keg, you are not the first one to lose a tank full of CO2 and it is very frustrating.

Thought I outsmarted it once by shutting off the gas anytime it was not in use only to find the leak just made for a keg of flat beer. :grimacing:

1 Like

Thanks all… my mistake seems to be the MFL connection to the gas disconnect. I mistakenly think that it’s a “tighten, then forget about it” kind of arrangement, but they seem to loosen any time you handle them. I’ll keep a wrench inside the kegerator as a reminder to tighten every time I have an impure thought.

There will be alot of tightening.

1 Like

Kinda :lying_face:

Sometimes I think smaller cylinders are the best…less gas to lose when a leak springs up! My most recent one was a bad hose clamp. It’s been on there since day one. I guess I tightened it too much when installing it and it finally just gave out…weird…of course the high pressure gauge is no help only indicating change when the cylinder is almost empty.

Teflon tape on anything threaded!

Silicone grease (keg lube) find it at Home Depot in the plumbing area. This is for plumbing and drinking water lines, consider it “food grade”. I put a tiny bit on any rubber to get a good seal. Wipe off extra, it only needs enough to shine :slight_smile:

When I pressurize I always turn keg upside down for a bit. Any leaks will drip beer and then I can adjust or tighten.

Best of luck!!!

Cheers,

Flash