Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Found my water report, can you help me decipher?

Hi all,

Its old but its a start. This is from my well when we first built the house in 2005.

Well overdue for a retest which I plan to do soon.

Nitrite-N <0.10 mg/l
Nitrate-N 2.03 mg/l
pH - 7.3
copper < 0.05 mg/l
manganese 0.02 mg/l
iron 0.13mg/l
chloride 15 mg/l
hardness 56 mg/l
sodium 6.1 mg/l

Aside from e.coli, lead and arsenic test those are all the numbers I have.

Biggest thing I noticed was ph value being way high for brewing. Any other item for those who know chemistry more than I??

As for a new test…I looked up Ward Lab and they seem really reasonable. Do they mail you a “kit” to get your sample and send back to them? Local lab here changes $80 form a test.

[quote=“Kgetch”]Hi all,

Its old but its a start. This is from my well when we first built the house in 2005.

Well overdue for a retest which I plan to do soon.

Nitrite-N <0.10 mg/l
Nitrate-N 2.03 mg/l
pH - 7.3
copper < 0.05 mg/l
manganese 0.02 mg/l
iron 0.13mg/l
chloride 15 mg/l
hardness 56 mg/l
sodium 6.1 mg/l

Aside from e.coli, lead and arsenic test those are all the numbers I have.

Biggest thing I noticed was ph value being way high for brewing. Any other item for those who know chemistry more than I??

As for a new test…I looked up Ward Lab and they seem really reasonable. Do they mail you a “kit” to get your sample and send back to them? Local lab here changes $80 form a test.[/quote]

I’m no water expert by any stretch but you don’t really have everything you’re going to want in that water report. You need alkalinity among other things. Not to mention those figures could have changed in the past 10 years. Some test their well water a few times a year and have significant changes seasonally.

7.3 pH is really not that high. Mash pH is lowered by the acidity of the grains.

You can order the ‘kit’ from Ward Labs or just fill a water bottle of your own and send it off to them to save a few bucks. Order the brewers water test and you’ll get all the info you need.

While you’re waiting to get your water report back download and study up on Brunwater. It will help you adjust your water properly.

:cheers:

you have sodium (6 ppm), chloride (15 ppm) and hardness, which are useful. You’re missing sulfate, calcium and carbonate. Based on your hardness, I suspect that your Ca is about 20 and your HCO3 is about 37. Your Mg is probably in the single digits (~2 ppm would be typical for that calcium level) and your SO4 is probably low, too, considering how low everything else is in your water, so you can probably assume it is somewhere around your sodium and chloride levels, lets guess ~10 ppm.

There’s a lot of assumption in those estimates, but that should get you going and is probably close enough for brewing. Your water is good brewing water. Add some CaCl2 or CaSO4 to get your Ca up around 50-100 ppm and it should be good for a wide variety of beers.

Looks like it is generally very soft, clean water, good for pilsners and any styles that you like. You do want to get your hands on a more complete report if you can. Look up Ward Laboratories, they have a test for homebrewers where you can send in a sample for pretty cheap.

Actually, you don’t need all the info in the “homebrewer” test. You can get everything you need with the less expensive W-6 test.

Thanks all! I did check out Ward labs website. I plan to send a sample in soon. It can use a newer look and they are miles below even the local lab!!!

Do I just use an empty water bottle for the sample or is the a special sort of container I need?

We sit on a lot of really sandy soil here so I was fairly confident we get a good natural filtering for our water.

[quote=“Kgetch”]Thanks all! I did check out Ward labs website. I plan to send a sample in soon. It can use a newer look and they are miles below even the local lab!!!

Do I just use an empty water bottle for the sample or is the a special sort of container I need?

We sit on a lot of really sandy soil here so I was fairly confident we get a good natural filtering for our water.[/quote]

I just took the label off of an empty drinking water bottle, rinsed it out a few times then filled it with my water.

great Thanks!

[quote=“Kgetch”]Thanks all! I did check out Ward labs website. I plan to send a sample in soon. It can use a newer look and they are miles below even the local lab!!!

We sit on a lot of really sandy soil here so I was fairly confident we get a good natural filtering for our water.[/quote]

I ordered the test that came with the pre-paid postage tube and it came with it’s own bottle.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com