Found My New IPA - Sweetwater

I’m a Natty Green drinker, and love its piney citrus notes. But, after recently being intro’d to Sweetwater (Atlanta, GA) IPA, I’ll work on that beer for a few months! Very nice IPA, not too hoppy, plenty of piney notes, as well as a beautiful boquet of grapefruit. Exactly what I’m trying to learn to brew at home. Man, I love real beer.

I love it too. Grapefruity!

One of my favorite summer choices!

Now we just need to clone it!

Need a “no pants” category to make this survey valid.

I tried Sweetwater while visiting Nashville and really enjoyed it. Haven’t been able to find it here in the northeast.

[quote=“tookalisten”]One of my favorite summer choices!

Now we just need to clone it![/quote]

Here’s one I found. Very similar to others I’ve seen:

RRecipe: Sweetwater IPA Clone
Brewer: Brian Whitman
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 9.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 79.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amt Name
10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
1.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
1.00 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] - Dry Hop
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 8.0 oz

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 3.91 gal of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 1 steps (Drain mash tun, ) of 168.0 F water
Notes:

Goldings and Simcoe combo? I do not remember seeing that before in any brew. Very interesting.

Good beer. Used to drink it on draft at the Mellow Mushroom in Tallahassee, Florida…they make a good product.

Excellent beers, always fresh because they only distribute close to their home. If you are ever in Atlanta, the Sweetwater happy hour/tour is my #2 tourist recommendation (after Fat Matt’s Rib Shack).

Nice 1-2 combo there! I grew up in the ATL.

A few weeks back I had the pleasure of attending Sweetwater’s 16 th anniversary soiree…It was a blast, and they had all their offerings on tap, with a few “special brews” done up for the occasion!
Read : BIG beers!
Most of the big ones they do are labeled as “From the Dank Tank”, and the one available for the celebration was called “The Gimp”, @ about 10%…Tasty it was!

They also did one called “Red Wheat Wine”, which I guess is a barley wine, ( as I’ve never drank one to my knowledge).
THAT one was delicious, but dangerous at about 11.5% !

They are saying that this last one will become a fairly regular, ( local) offering.

There are and abundance of craft brew and micro-breweries springing up in the Atlanta area, and I guess I’ll have to do my duty and give them a try! :shock:

Here is a link to their upcoming festival…If you’re gonna’ be in the area, it’s a good one!

http://sweetwater420fest.com/