Forum Status

I’ve noticed how our forum status changes as our number of posts increase and how it levels off to Master Brewer. Don’t you think there should be more status titles for the truly dedicated members who always seem to respond to us clueless newbies’ questions? I think there should at least be Master Brewer Class I, II, III, etc. For the members who are really up there like over 1000 posts, shouldn’t they have a title like Brewing God? Just putting it out there.

I really don’t pay attention to a title, I get to respect them peeps from their response more than anything!! Sneezles61 :cheers:

I tend to agree with this… quality not quantity. Same thing goes for feedback from BJCP competitions or whatever. On occasion I have seen Recognized level judges do a much better job than Masters. In either case, quality comes from those who genuinely care. Or who have serious psychological issues. You be the judge of that.

:cheers:

You guys are too modest! Thanks again for sharing your vast experiences.

Here titles mean nothing…it,s just a way acknowledgeing a certain level of posts and participation…Know one knows everything and someone may always give you a hint or an insight you may not have thought of. Bottom line here is I think were all here for great beer to make for ourselves and our freinds… We gladly give any good two-cents worth we can…Tank :cheers:

I tend to agree with this… quality not quantity. Same thing goes for feedback from BJCP competitions or whatever. On occasion I have seen Recognized level judges do a much better job than Masters. In either case, quality comes from those who genuinely care. Or who have serious psychological issues. You be the judge of that.

:cheers: [/quote]
+2. See I can rack up a high tally by not saying anything at all. :lol:

Spoken like a true Master Brewer :lol:

I kind of disagree. The last time I posted, I thought I was asking a simple straight forward question. But apparently I upset some people. I don’t bother asking anything anymore.

Some folks have big egos and some have thin skin. Also, threads very often get de-railed and the original poster should not take this personally. The internet is also impersonal and people will write things that they wouldn’t normally say to your face. Unfortunate but true. Still I would say that for the most part >95% of the time, good information is being shared, at least on this forum. Things are far worse in other places (BA forum, anyone?!).

I agree Dave, and it happens so many places on the internet.

It seems some people are overly sensitive to trivial things (like an avatar or a title), and some people are just very straightforward and don’t mean offense even though it may appear that way. When those two clash on the internet, you have some people seemingly being offensive and some people maybe getting their feelings hurt. The tone and body language are not there, so it’s really hard to understand exactly what someone means sometimes. So much of our communication is non-verbal. I usually take what people say with a grain of salt, although some people just like to start drama. I’ve grown up through using the internet for forums and advice, so I’ve learned to filter a lot of the BS.

I continue to ask questions even when people act out online, simply because my desire to learn more about what I am researching outweighs their need for attention. :cheers:

This forum is definitely full of some very knowledgeable people. I’ve learned most of what I know about brewing from a few books and this here forum. But being that there are so many many variables when it comes to brewing, most answers usually have the “in my experience” tacked on because what happens for some people may not happen for you. If we all had the same rigs and temp control and water, etc. then answers would be much more straightforward. So I learned early on no matter what someone with 20,000 post count says, I’ll need to try it myself to see if that works for me.

Posts that tend to be very matter of fact like “this is whats wrong” or “you need to do it this way” I tend to be wary of. I’ve learned over my couple short years of brewing that there is so much yet to be discovered in the homebrew arena. So while someone may have read a book from 10 years ago that said to do things one way, that could be completely wrong by what’s known today.

I think a “like post” button would be good as well.

Express our appreciation and a little pat on the back for those with a great or helpful post.

I’ve seen it on other forums and it seems to work well.

As far as forums go this is a pretty good place. I don’t have much experience with trolls here. But I do find the info quiet redundant due to the NB affiliation and the current generation being spoon fed everything rather than actually looking into something for themselves.
With that said, I find myself helping far more than receiving help, and I’m fine with that as it comes with experience. We’ve all been there. If you have a highly advanced question you may consider joining and asking here:

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Great group of VERY experienced brewers, some with pro experience, that don’t troll and give honest answers. Guys that have experiene in many different venues. It doesn’t get much noise but that’s kind of refreshing and the topics can be very technical so it really helps the learning curve. That’s usually where I go to get help.